Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > Projects

Old 27/06/2017, 12:03 PM
GRA Member

Soggy - have you not seen the 'Motorcycle Trader (I think) info sheet? This gives a lot of Griffon info. There re drawings for the Greeves service tool for removing the circlips, basically just a 'U' shaped piece of metal with a hole in the top.

Regarding the differences between 2 and 4 stroke carbs, have you seen the articles I wrote for Leading Link?

I can send you these at the weekend once I get hold of my main PC if you so wish.

Cheers, Rob
Old 27/06/2017, 09:42 PM
GRA Member

I haven't seen either of these Rob. Kims heads-up to the article on Amals earlier on this thread was really useful, but there is no such thing as too much education, so a copy would be much appreciated.

Paul
Old 14/07/2017, 10:15 AM
GRA Member

Location: Pink Lambreta (on loan to Brian) Italijet 50 (on its way back in a jiffy bag)

Hi Paul,
How is the Griffon restoration going?
Did you get the gearbox sorted?
Craig
Old 18/07/2017, 10:46 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon380 View Post
Hi Paul,
How is the Griffon restoration going?
Did you get the gearbox sorted?
Craig
Hi Craig, still struggling with the clutch basket. Just can't compress it enough to release the little spring clips. Scott / Rob...any help with pics of the tool would be really useful. I keep having a go with clamps and vice and a bit of controlled force, but can't seem to get any compression at all. I suspect this is one of those jobs that once you know the trick it is a piece of cake.....unfortunately I don't know the trick. Perhaps I should go and eat a piece of cake instead, I can do that.

In other news, I've found a special metals welder in Sheffield who was not only willing to repair various bits, he was really enthusiastic about the project. So cracked gearbox casing now fixed, hole in primary chaincase fixed, and chunk missing from fork stantion fixed. So plug time.. see Nick at JNC Welding for all your metal repair needs. Nice work, nice price, nice bloke.

Stantions off to Dynasurf for hard chroming. I'd forgotten you'd already suggested them earlier on this thread Craig, but phoned them as Philpotts have an 8-10 wk turnaround time.

So progress is being made but as to clutch basket ....HELP!!!

Will upload some pics for your delectation

Paul
Old 18/07/2017, 11:08 PM
GRA Member

welding work has come out well. Crack in gearbox main case required plenty of fill but mating face has ground back fine.How to get 5 spline clutch basket off and 6 spline on...preferably without the use of a large hammer
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0048.jpg   DSC_0049.jpg   DSC_0050.jpg   DSC_0051.jpg  
Old 19/07/2017, 07:24 AM
GRA Member

Hiya

Il take a picture of said tool when I next go to my Parents house as the tool is there..

It's only a a threaded piece of bar that goes down each clutch post individually.. Said piece of bar is on a swivel bracket attached to another piece of rod.. It's hard to describe but really simple when you see it!

Il be in touch

Regards

Scott
Old 19/07/2017, 08:32 PM
GRA Member

Much appreciated Scott.

Paul
Old 22/07/2017, 08:34 AM
GRA Member

Location: 69 250 and 72 QUB Griffons and loan of Dad's 62 MDS Iron Barrel (occasionally)
Default Try the Morley Method Soggy

Always start the job the evening before race day

Take the clutch basket select an unsuitable socket
Place socket on back of clutch thingy
Hold in vice (optional )
Depress weight of clutch onto socket
Scrabble around for suitable long nose pliers
As the spring is compressed attempt to remove clip
Release clip ... and here's the clever bit ...
always look the other way as the spring explodes across the garage like a bullet
Repeat the procedure 6 times
Swear a lot ( not optional)
Spend rest of evening / night searching garage for springs
Hastily rebuild clutch in early hours
Quick kip ( optional )
Off to race day with ready made excuse for not winning
Simples 😂😂👍👍
Old 23/07/2017, 12:01 PM
GRA Member

Thanks Kim.

Given the superb presentation of your bikes I would assume your workshop would be surgically clean and fully supplied with every unique tool necessary. I will certainly try your method, but before I start, could you clarify where use of tie wraps fits into your methodology?

Paul
Old 23/07/2017, 06:57 PM
GRA Member

Default One small step for man......

Done it! clutch taken apart, new 6 spline centre fitted, and clutch built back up. With vital help from wifey to slip out the spring clips whilst I compress the springs. Kim, how you do it on your own without the special tool is beyond me - you definitely need 3 or 4 hands for this job. Perhaps this is the secret missing step where cable ties come in.

Anyway, now I've had the clutch apart it all seems so obvious, and won't be a problem in future. Thanks to everyone for inputting on this problem - I'm sure there will be another for you in due course.

Cheers

Paul