Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > Projects

Old 07/03/2017, 08:25 AM
GRA Member

Location: North West. RAS, RCS,RDS & RES Silverstone, RFS Oulton, Super Cub, Burgman 400

My Silverstone has a 36mm Mk2 Amal fitted, and when I had stripped and cleaned it I noticed the pilot jet was in the float bowl, supposed place for a 4 stroke, so I put it in the body, again supposed best place for a 2 stroke. Started OK but wouldn't rev cleanly when I went out on the track. Returning to original position and all was well. Amal leaflet actually says" This is not a hard and fast rule and the reverse may sometimes be the case" Dogsbody
Old 10/04/2017, 07:45 PM
GRA Member

Default steering head bearings

Hi all,

Anyone know what size taper roller bearings I need for the griffon. I've picked up the ceriani forks and yolks to replace the none standard ones that came with the bike, so size should be to original factory spec. I've seen elsewhere on the forum good things said about Timkens from QualitybearingsOnline, so if anyone can help with internal and external dimensions, it's just one click and job done.

On the subject of forks, anyone have a preference / good experience of hard chroming companies?

In other news, gearbox just dispatched to Geoff Nunn for some tlc. Kim, when the box returns I'll let you know how many gears should be in there.

Paul
Old 10/04/2017, 07:53 PM
GRA Member

Location: 69 250 and 72 QUB Griffons and loan of Dad's 62 MDS Iron Barrel (occasionally)

Good progress Paul !! Ref years it's not the number in there that is the issue I know there are 4 ... It's more my inability to se more than n fixed gear per race 😂😂😂😂
Old 11/04/2017, 10:23 AM
GRA Member

Location: Pink Lambreta (on loan to Brian) Italijet 50 (on its way back in a jiffy bag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Welly View Post
Hi all,

Anyone know what size taper roller bearings I need for the griffon. I've picked up the ceriani forks and yolks to replace the none standard ones that came with the bike, so size should be to original factory spec. I've seen elsewhere on the forum good things said about Timkens from QualitybearingsOnline, so if anyone can help with internal and external dimensions, it's just one click and job done.

On the subject of forks, anyone have a preference / good experience of hard chroming companies?

In other news, gearbox just dispatched to Geoff Nunn for some tlc. Kim, when the box returns I'll let you know how many gears should be in there.

Paul
Hi Soggy,
Check out my QUB Mk2 post. I used a company for the front forks that where quick and very good
Old 11/04/2017, 01:59 PM
GRA Member

Acknowledged experts for chroming forks are Philpots in Luton (www.pittedforks.co.uk). There may be others nearer, for example Precision hard Chrome in Doncaster, 01302 330050.
Old 11/04/2017, 03:59 PM
GRA Member

Location: Pink Lambreta (on loan to Brian) Italijet 50 (on its way back in a jiffy bag)

Dynasurf for fork rechroming
Old 11/04/2017, 05:43 PM
GRA Member

Thanks chaps,

I'm aware of the good reputation and years in the business of AM Philpots - I was looking at having them replate the stanchions on my 1976 Honda 750/4 also. but at 175.00 it seems a bit steep. I could buy a new set for less money. though of course the same argument doesn't apply to the cerianis.

any thoughts on bearing size?
Old 26/06/2017, 07:42 PM
GRA Member

Default gearbox woes (continued)

So the gearbox that came with the bike has been condemned by Geoff Nunn as not economically viable to repair. bent shafts, worn gears, cracked case....the list is long.

however, a complete gearbox has materialised which was rebuilt by Geoff some 4 years ago and never been run. unfortunately my clutch is the 5 spline version and the new box is 6 spline. I have a replacement 6 spline bottom plate but am a bit unsure how to remove the small circlips from the spring pegs to dismantle the cutch. I'm assuming I need to squeeze the whole thing up in a vice to compress the springs so the circlips will come clear of the recesses in the top pressure plate. Any tips appreciated.....before I go in heavy handed and damage something.

Paul
Old 26/06/2017, 08:10 PM
GRA Member

Default Fiddley Job

Hi Paul..

Glad you are making progress..

My uncle made a tool that screws into the posts.. You can then compress the spring a take the clip out..

It's worth making something up.. I will take some pics when I get a chance of said tool..

Griffon clutches are a pain to work on..

Regards

Scott 151
Old 26/06/2017, 10:08 PM
GRA Member

That would be a great help Scott.

Meant to say hello at Marks Tay on Sunday but managed to miss you. Saw you on the track though, looking pretty smooth it must be said