Theft from a Greeves rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft from a Greeves rider

Not a Greeves but a red and black 1955 Dot TDHX 8e 4-speed Trialler with Earls forks and original pattern exhaust, in running condition but still in course of being restored. Stolen from my locked garage last night (8-9th June).
    If you hear of one being offered for sale, or for parts, please let me know. Thanks.

Much sympathy John, you must be devastated. Suffolk doesn't seem to be the relatively crime-free area it once was. Someone made a determined (if unsuccessful) attempt to get past my padlocked gate the other night.

I'd had a couple of bikes out on the drive a couple of days earlier while I was working on the TR4A. Could be a connection?

This is rural East Anglia. I have the traditional regional deterrent handy...

Hope the Dot turns up.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 10/06/2017, 08:44 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Again much sympathy John, may help to publish frame number & a pic so it can be identified should it come up on 'evilBay' or autojumble. Good point Colin made about bikes on drives, always best to keep them out of sight. Crooks can spot them on a drive by & come back later & break into sheds.

Comment

Cctv

Hi, sad news indeed, I live in the sticks here in Devon and I am always careful not to leave stuff on view especially when the"tarmac'ers" are around in the summer! I have a series of cheap CCTV cameras around with large signs declaring the fact. They seem to have the desired effect. Someone pulled into the yard a while back trying to sell me a generator,spotted the cameras and keeping his face from them quickly reversed out and away. Just a thought................starider
        Last edited by starider; 10/06/2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, hope it is retrieved. Are there any particular parts on the bike that would lead to the rest if it were sold on-line? Incidentally, How are bikes usually fenced?? - Ebay seems an obvious one like you say John although it would need to be a really stupid criminal to sell the whole bike on-line. Parts indeed would be an obvious way for them to be sold, and presumably some parts could be identified.
          I was cleaning my bike the other day and a random person peered around the corner and looked into my garage. I now lock the garage, move the car right up the the door and have bolted one of these onto the wheel of the bike. The Rolson lock has a vibration sensor alarm in it and only £9.99 from Buywise
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your responses and concern, all. I thought I had taken all necessary precautions, considering our relatively-rural location and the fact that my bikes rarely see light of day, except for the occasional gallop on the Hawkstone at Pre 65 Club meetings.
            The perpetrators obviously had a specific target in mind because they ignored a rather more valuable (to me, at least) bike standing next to it in the garage, and even had the decency (?) to leave a near-new lawnmower and strimmer behind.
            Certainly makes you wonder?
            JR

Comment

Maybe with local yobs as field bike.

Could have been local 'yobs' nicking it for a field bike. This happened to a former GRA member here in Cambs some years ago with a Scottish trials bike, after a few days police found it abandoned in a field a mile away out of petrol. Luckily in that case little damage was done & the owner got the bike back. Worth having a search around local woods etc where kids are known to ride bikes. As you say John strange thieves ignored more valuable bike & lawnmower.

Comment

Theft

Hi, yes it's very usual to find the thief[ves] are local, many items have been stolen in our area in the past and found in barns and lock ups after a few weeks.A few years ago several outboard motors were taken from our power boats anchored out on the lake at our local water sports centre. They were found 3 weeks later in a lock-up in the next town.Someone always knows who or where these people are,also the police often have some idea who.
                I think the best idea is that someone wanted it to ride around fields etc.............starider

Comment

Thanks again, both.
                  I live in hope ..................
                  JR

Comment

In the South Midland Centre, a couple of bikes (one Greeves, I seem to remember) were taken. The chassis and engine numbers were rapidly spread around on FB and the bikes were found dumped within several days as, presumably, too hot to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      In the South Midland Centre, a couple of bikes (one Greeves, I seem to remember) were taken. The chassis and engine numbers were rapidly spread around on FB and the bikes were found dumped within several days as, presumably, too hot to handle.
                      Yes, communication is the key - maybe a any thefts could be put into LL mag with details, I'm sure that there would be many members who would 'sleuth out' jumbles etc and hopefully find stolen bikes parts etc

Comment

Stolen DOT

Have tried to upload photos but files are too big for the Forum but can be seen on Facebook and on Stolen bikes page of the Andy Tiernan website.
                        Frame number is H550236.
                        Suffolk Police Crime number is 37/40898/17.
                        Please keep an eye out at jumbles, auctions, etc.
                        Thanks
                        JR

Comment

Working...
                        X