Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddock starter

Hi all,
    Has any member had any experience with paddock roller starters, if so which type, and how did they perform

I bought a Doc Z roller starter about 3 years ago after bump starting my Yamaha TD2 road racer was getting more difficult as I get older! I use it to start both my Silverstone and the TD2 and assorted other bikes at the track that are proving difficult to start, although the Silverstone is an easy bike to start without the rollers.

The one I bought, directly from Art Zimmerman in the US as we used to race together in the 250cc class when he ventured up to Mosport, is the direct drive model with gear drives to each roller using 2 Ford F150 truck starter motors.

Never had a problem starting my bikes but even with the close ratio gears I have to start the Silverstone in 2nd gear but the extra tall 1st gear on the Yam means I start that in 1st gear.

Not sure how they would work on motocross bikes but it works a treat with the road racers.

Stan

Comment

Most common in road race paddocks is the Solo starter. Available with different rollers for mx. Chris is really helpful and usually found at major race meetings and the race paddock at Stafford show. Never heard of any problems.

Dogsbody

Comment

I have seen battery-powered roller starters fail to crank bigger 4-strokes sufficiently to get them going, in which case a petrol-engined one is needed. For our 2-strokes the battery ones should be fine. You haven't said what bike it is for Marley Peter?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          I have seen battery-powered roller starters fail to crank bigger 4-strokes sufficiently to get them going, in which case a petrol-engined one is needed. For our 2-strokes the battery ones should be fine. You haven't said what bike it is for Marley Peter?
          Probaby the red marley hill climb!

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
            Probaby the red marley hill climb!
            I said what bike, not what bike event!

Comment

Yeah, but i was just pre empting your next question.........

Comment

No next question.....

Looking at the OP's posts, he appears to have an Anglian and a Challenger. I can't imagine why one would want to start them on rollers, unless the Challenger has a no-kickstart facility racing type gearbox... Fat lot of good if you stall it during a race. hence my question what bike?

If they won't start with the kickstart, the reason for that needs to be resolved, rather than resorting to a paddock starter!

I see the OP has started 10 threads on here so far. About time he became a member....

Comment

The Solo will start Manx Nortons and G50s with no trouble. They are fitted with two starter motors. He will probably be at Telford. Dogsbody

Comment

Yes, I believe the Solo starters are good. There are quite a few around, some homemade, which struggle. The Solo man has a 500 Dommie Racer; not an original one obviously, but nice nonetheless, which he brings to the shows. It has breather pipes everywhere to help keep the oil inside where it belongs!

Comment

Yes, my starter is a Solo bought from the original designer/manufacturer in the States, battery powered with a starter motor on each roller. I have started 750 Nortons and 980 BMWs, no problem.

Comment

Paddock starter

Hi all,
                        for information i have 3 challengers 2MX5s, 1MX3, and an Anglian, at 70 years old, kicking the life out of them and me has become a blasted chore, hence the third leg.
                        All engines have been built at Simons gearboxes at Geoff Nunns, all new electronic ignition, all new carb bits jets ect and still they all are absolute swine to start. I have other M/Cs all classics, they start easy but the Greeves i have found are very stubborn.
                        Have had the bikes to local mechanics, they cannot understand it .any ideas?

Comment

Hi Peter do we have the frame number of your MX 3 for our list .
                          Many thanks Simon

Comment

Peter, Some electronic ignition systems need a bit more speed than a Kickstarter provides for the first start. I have a PVL on the Silverstone and the initial start may take a few seconds longer than subsequent spins. Also do you drain the carb at the end of the day? Because of the time between meetings I drain the tank and the carb, refilling when I get ready next time and have no problems. I also use Sunoco race fuel so guarantee no ethanol problems. Dogsbody

Comment

Working...
                            X