Non Greeves wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Greeves wanted

Hi, looking for a Honda C90 to restore,does anyone know of one? Not abandoning Greeves, just need something to restore over a month or so, to use around our rural roads, to save getting one of the cars out! Thanks..................starider

Why not consider a Yamaha T80, much better in my opinion (I have had one for a good few years) shaft drive and 4 speed gear box, bullet proof engine. They are at the moment cheaper to buy than the Honda and secondhand parts are readily available and cheap.
    A couple on eBay at the moment
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-T8...AAAOSwc~laGxyF this one a bit far gone and only good for parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-to...MAAOSwKQ9aIu3x £600 is about the going rate for a tidy runner with MoT so this one worth nearer £500 maybe he would take an offer.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/12/2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Hi John, did consider the Yamaha, but my son is "Mr C90", and has buckets of spares,see www.c90adventures.co.uk He has several but uses them for his travel tours. Thanks...Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by starider View Post
        Hi John, did consider the Yamaha, but my son is "Mr C90", and has buckets of spares,see www.c90adventures.co.uk He has several but uses them for his travel tours. Thanks...Tony.
        Fair does, I have loads of spares for the T80 which will see me out with it. The only downside with the Townmate is rust in the tin ware, The later Honda's have more plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by starider View Post
          Wow!, great youtube stuff, he's either bonkers or brave. Liked the C90 trike!

Comment

a one off!

Yes Edwin is definately a one off, he has always been alternative but in a very intelligent way. He is an excellent mechanical and electronic engineer. What he does very well is give talks to groups/organisations and is very very entertaining. Makes a good speaker at events such as AGMs etc............starider

Comment

Another set of guys did similar thing on Yamaha T80's http://extremetrifle.com/events_old/...nd-sahara.html
              These little bikes (C90 & T80) are amazing, I have towed a broken down Greeves Scottish with mine

This is my T80

Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/12/2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

You look like your well protected from the weather on that T80 John..

Out of interest do you have trouble seeing through the screen when it rains?

Those little Japanese engines are brilliant.. I spent lots of summer holidays roaring around the fields on our lightened C70/90s... I even had a lovely genuine ST70 from 1973 recently.. I sold it at Kempton in minutes as they are so popular..

Comment

No I made the screen myself and made the hight so that I can see over the top, The wind deflection keeps visor clear of rain. Surprisingly the bike goes better with the screen in place, I suppose a smoother air flow than one upper body. Weather protection is very good with screen on and I have ridden to work many times in foul weather and only needed waterproof leggings on in real downpour. Its done over 60000 miles although I dd have another engine in it for about 10000, it back on its original now, nothing wrong or been done to it as I just wanted to test a spare engine and left it in for a few miles.
                  The engines are really as I said before bullet proof, first time start, and perform better than a 125cc Bantam. It will cruse at 40 - 45 mph and give around 125 mpg.
                  This is the 2nd T80 I have had, first one an A reg bought for £10 including spare engine and Haynes Manual, with seized engine, oil pump had come loose and damaged gear, simple to replace and it only had a slight piston seizure. Eased the piston and it did me proud for a few 1000 miles till rust caught up with it and I sold it for £100 for a field bike and bought my current J reg one

Comment

60,000 miles!! That's pretty amazing John..

I'm impressed

Comment

Good colour too John -

Comment

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
                        Good colour too John -
                        Yes brush painted with 'Moorland Blue' well Hammerite Smoothrite Blue actually. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...4383.l4275.c10 also available at most hardware stores

Comment

Presumably in the days when it was possible to brush-paint Smoothrite without leaving brush marks. The current (environmentally friendly?) formulation is absolute crap. Impossible to get a decent finish.

Unless it's just me...
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                            Presumably in the days when it was possible to brush-paint Smoothrite without leaving brush marks. The current (environmentally friendly?) formulation is absolute crap. Impossible to get a decent finish.

Unless it's just me...
                            Not really noticed any difference Colin, having done some recent touching up with 'new' Hammerite. One good thing is that it always matches up.
                            I would say though that if painting bare or rusty metal its best to put on a coat of Hammerite Rust Beater first https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatal...SABEgIy_fD_BwE

You can also get both in aerosols

Comment

Enjoyed!!

Hi, thanks for all the interesting comments, I quite liked the idea of the Yamaha, but as my son has buckets of spares for c90s; I have today collected a rather nice 1989 c90 just down the road in Cornwall. Brand new MOT and needs a little TLC [already in the workshop!]. Will post some pics. when finshed...........................starider

Comment

Working...
                              X