Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine, Chain case and gearbox oil question

Hi
    I'm pretty new to these great bikes, but can members keep me right on the best oil /type/viscosity. I have a 34A engine, is there any specific oil type (synthetic or semi syn) that is best for the gearbox and chain case oil?

Also regarding the 2-stroke oil, again I see there is various types again synthetic and semi syn. What is best in these older engines. I've read that 25:1 is best for this engine - does that sound right?
    Thanks

I would use neither synthetic nor semi-syn in a 34A engine. Rather I would go for R40 for both the petroil mix (at 25:1) and neat in the gearbox.

Comment

John has given you the oils for a scrambler. If the engine is in a road bike or trials bike use normal mineral SAE30 in chain case & gearbox. In fact the oil grades are written on the engine.
      For engine use standard mineral two stroke such as Comma Two Stroke at 25 to 1
      Worth getting a Villiers workshop manual on the engine. Villiers Services do them. Only use R in racing engines

Comment

I always use Villiers oils - they specifiy what type to use for each engine on their website. They are formulated for use with Villiers engines and I have found them to be excellent if you want to pay for a quality oil

Comment

Only speaking from experience .............

Rode my 34A Hawkstone to meetings in the day, and occasionally to work on road ratios. It would nip up on mineral oils but not so on Castrol R.
          Last edited by johnrunnacles; 15/08/2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Good advice

I took guidance from a bit of an expert in oils. Particularly the use of TQF in gearboxes and primary drives.

I like the use of R40 in 2 strokes, I even add a drop to the petrol of my 4 stroke Greeves

Comment

Working...
            X