4T air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4T air filter

The 4T engine as fitted in the 25DDMk2 & East Coaster has a 'tobacco tin' shaped air filter with a washable gauze/felt element. With age the felt deteriorates & does not effectively filter the air. In fact if clogged it can restrict air flow. As far as I am aware Villiers Services dont supply the actual replacement elements, just the basic filter housing.
    I have recently modified mine to take a foam rubber element which I cut from a block of foam rubber (30mm thick ideal). Just mark out the outline of filter housing using one of the end plates & cut to shape using a Stanley knife. The centre core should be removed leaving approx 10mm wall thicknes. To support the filter element inside I made a wire frame from wire mesh (sold in hardware stores & pet shops for rabbit cages) Bend to shape & solder ends. This is then inserted into the foam filter element and the housing assembled back together with the perforated outer.
    Alternatively the filter element could be made from a 30mm wide strip of 10mm thick foam, glued together at ends to make a ring. The foam can easily be washed out in petroil.
    See pic enclosed, old element is at top of pic
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/08/2017, 03:24 PM.

Air Filter

Air filter foam is different to normal foam it has tubular air passages through it and can be obtained from a vendor at Kempton Park or on the tinternet.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
      Air filter foam is different to normal foam it has tubular air passages through it and can be obtained from a vendor at Kempton Park or on the tinternet.
      I just use normal foam it seems to work OK

Comment

Working...
      X