Wanted :- Pillion Footrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted :- Pillion Footrests

I am in need of a pair of pillion footrests for my 20DC. I see VS have universal ones, apparently of the type fitted to heavyweight BSA pre-unit frames. In the absence of original ones, are these anything like them? I don't know what the originals are like in detail, although they have flat rubbers, whereas the VS ones look to be round.

Does anyone have a pair they would like to part with, or ideas for a good substitute?

Ian

Hi Ian, I have one missing on the Ranger so need to find one as well . I will take a close up picture so you can see if it is much different from the newer types.

Comment

OK Tony, thanks. We can compare yours with the Villiers Services universal ones on their website. They look ok, but I am not sure about bolt diameter, and also they look as though the mounting is a bit long. Also, to look right, they need the flat rubbers.
      Last edited by IanCordes; 23/03/2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Pillion footrests

Here is a pic of one from my East Coaster. The rubber on mine is probably not the original & I assume a pattern part, (looks like the BSA/Triumph one on VS web site) its been on the bike since I bought it in 1999. The metal footrest looks a fairly standard part, the length of the threaded fixing will depend upon the bike. On the EC it also secures the silencers & has a spacer.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/03/2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks John. The universal footrests appear to space the pegs too far out. However, your ones look different from those I have looked at on various pictures, since posting. Your rubbers are round; the East Coaster just sold on ebay has the flattened ones, which seem common to DB/DC type, which presumably are fitted on to, in effect a flat steel bar?

Comment

Have looked at the VS ones. With the spacers (not shown in my pic) mine would be about the same length as the VS ones, but the spacer fits between the silencer & frame, so VS ones would not be right for my bike. Threaded part is 3/8" dia with what looks like a British Cycle thread. I have no idea if mine are original, probably not as the bike was restored back in the 1980's.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/03/2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

John, it is similar on the singles. At present my silencer is held on with a bolt, with a spacer in the form of an additional nut between the frame lug and the silencer. So, short of turning down the shank of the VS items and using a separate spacer, they won't be suitable. It is doe-able if one were desperate, but as I do not have pillion passengers queuing up for spin on the back, I just want it to look right, and original.

Comment

Here is the Ranger one Ian, flat rubber on a round bar. Actually I need 3 as the other Ranger has not got any either .
                The Orange one has replacement ones that are marginally longer but look okay.
                I am going to the VMCC auto jumble at Shepton on Saturday so I will have a look for original and reproduction ones.

Last edited by tony; 23/03/2017, 07:20 PM. Reason: missed out text

Comment

A fairly simple thing to make for anyone with a lathe and milling machine. If they are universal to most machines it maybe worth one of the suppliers listed in Leading Link to stock them.

Brian.

Comment

If a motorcycle is equipped with a dual seat it must have pillion footrests to pass MoT https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....1s06000201.htm

Comment

Brian. I am fresh out of lathes and milling machines!

As previously discussed Tony, I am also going to Shepton Mallet, so the race is on to find them!

See you there no doubt.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Yes hopefully catch up at Shepton Ian.

Brian you are not the first person to suggest that it is fairly simple for anyone with a lathe. I probably like a few others would not know how to use a lathe if my life depended on it, therefore not an option. As to suppliers, it is unlikely that a supplier will manufacture something that has a relatively low volume, particularly as there are cheap equivalents. Personally I would happily pay for a few to be made to exactly replicate the original. Dave (Higgins) made some fantastic air filters and toolboxes to Greeves drawing specification. No doubt if you ask Dave the volume of sales have not helped him achieve a playboy life style or early retirement. The dilemma is that if you cannot 'simply' turn them out on a lathe yourself then you need to either compromise and buy some that are close or find some one who - at a price will make you some -- or get lucky and find some originals.

Comment

Turning and milling

Is there a drawing or sketch of what is required? The pattern parts offered by many suppliers could be adapted without too much effort. Particularly if they only need shortening.
                          Last edited by Phil Hyde; 24/03/2017, 10:19 AM. Reason: More worms

Comment

The VS ones could be made to fit, but they would still not look original. The reason for that is the male/female components of the hinge; for want of a better description; are the other way round. There are no doubt other aftermarket ones, but I suspect aimed at the Jap bike market, with pressings & metric bolts, which will be the wrong diameter for a snug fit through the frame. If someone could make a batch for sensible money they could be reverse-engineered from an original, although I would be very surprised if there is not a Greeves factory drawing about.

If I make it to Shepton tomorrow I will have a good look to see what is available, as no doubt Tony will.

Looking at yours and Tony's, John, they look much the same. I didn't expect a flat rubber on a round peg, the opposite of a square peg in a round hole!

As for the legality, I didn't think of that when I bought the bike. Presumably the PO, a GRA member, had them on when he had it MoT'd.... They were not fitted when advertised, see pic. I have a pair of non-folding ones I can fit as a temporary measure.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looking again at John's and Tony's pictures, it looks as though the threaded stud on John's is longer than Tony's. That could be explained if the singles have a different, shorter one on the off-side than on the nearside, which has to accommodate a spacer to push the silencer out to the correct position. This would be the same on 2T-engined twins, whereas the 4T equipped models with twin pipes would have the same each side. The longer one on the off-side could catch the swinging arm, unless a spacer was added, which I can't see the factory doing. Small point, and easily overcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X