Barn find 20DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn find 20DC

I went over to look at a 20DC locally today after having a call from its new owner Andy Loades of Swaversey, Cambs who has recently acquired it from the son of its previous elderly owner.
    The bike frame number 20DC102 (the second one in the 1962 build) has at some point had the original 9E engine removed and replaced with an early 808B series 2T with 4T heads, but I dont think the conversion was ever completed as the engine is only loosely fitted & there are no mounting brackets for the coils. Although the engine turns over & has good compression Andy plans to restore the bike to its original spec with a 9E engine. So if there is anyone out there who has a good 9E for sale he would be interested. Andy will also need 9E engine plates & an exhaust system.
    The bike looks to have started life in Essex as it has a Southend registration 327 AHJ. Its painted black & there does not appear to be any trace of moorland blue, Could it be one of the 20DC's supplied to Essex Water for meter readers?
    So a nice little project which appears fairly complete with the correct tin ware. Any one who can help with parts or has knowledge of the bike can contact Andy on 01954 204466
    Attached Files

20DC102 went to Peter Watkin dealers in Southend. No mention of colour.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

There will no doubt be a record of first registration at Essex Records office who hold the Southend licencing records. Apparently the registration is held at DVLA in their archived records, they have told Andy to apply for a new V5c via form V62 & the fee of £25, as there was no paperwork with the bike. Once he is the registered keeper he can then for a small fee obtain the list of previous owners from the DVLA.

DVLA shows this as untaxed since August 1978
      Vehicle make: GREEVES 20DCROADSTER
      Date of first registration: August 1961
      Year of manufacture: 1961
      Cylinder capacity (cc): 250 cc
      CO₂Emissions: Not available
      Fuel type: PETROL
      Export marker: No
      Vehicle status: Not taxed
      Vehicle colour: BLACK
      Vehicle type approval: Not available
      Wheelplan: 2 WHEEL
      Revenue weight: Not available
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/05/2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Colin. I notice that this particular 20DC has the later frame, although according to your excellent book, it did not receive that frame until 1963, the twins having been so blessed two years earlier. It would appear from this bike that there was only a delay of one year, from the twins getting the 1960 Hawkstone frame to the singles getting it.... Something to be addressed in the 2nd Edition of the book?

Given it's low number, this bike was probably built in late 1961, so they may be looking for a 1961 registration number, perhaps?

If the current owner does fit a 9E, I could do with the twin engine plates; also exhaust, although I doubt they have a good one.

Ian

Comment

327 AHJ is according to http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/jn.htm a July 1962 onwards Southend registration, according to the Greeves Identity list the 1962 seasons bikes started with 20DC101 so 102 would have been the second 20DC for the 62 season.
          The 20DC was first produced for the 1961 season with first frame number 61/2804.
          The owner of 327 AHJ does have a 25DC silencer & one exhaust pipe, both with surface rust, but possibly re chromeable. I did not take pics of these.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/11/2016, 12:19 PM. Reason: date changed on registration number

Comment

I guess that means it sat in the dealer's showroom for 7 or 8 months before being sold. It almost certainly left the factory around October to November 1961. My 24TE 128, also a 1962 model, left the factory in October 1961. My 20DC 399, the second one for the 1965 build, left the factory in October 1964. It doesn't make any difference in this case, just of academic interest. It seems a nice little bike, and a worthy project. I am enjoying pottering around the lanes of Cornwall on mine!

It seems wasteful, but it is probably cheaper to scrap an exhaust which needs re-chroming, and buy a new one. Apart from cost, finding a chromer who will re-plate a used exhaust, especially a 2-stroke one, could take some doing.

Comment

20DC now for sale

Andy Loades of Swaversey, Cambs is currently advertising his 20DC (with 2T engine) for sale on Greeves Enthusiasts Facebook page.

Just too many projects so this one has to go, study pictures as this is (as found) not had it running but comes complete with spare engine and some more bits. Looking for offers as not sure of value. V5 in my name. 1962

Looks like a viable restoration project for someone Andys number is 01954 204466

Comment

Last chance before eBay

Andy Loades is planning to put this up on eBay, so if any ones interested it might be a good idea to do a deal with him before he does. He is looking for offers around £1500. Good opportunity to restore a single, most of the tinware is there, and the 2T motor (with 4T heads) could be sold to fund a 9E or 32A. Nice original transferable number as well. Not that any respectable club member would want to do that
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/05/2017, 12:32 PM. Reason: Price added

Comment

Working...
                X