Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have tried the petrol in the crancase on my 25DC. I have a barrel off at the moment to find out why the compression is low on one side. I removed the drain plug on the opposite side then poured petrol down the side of the piston. Nothing leaked out until it reached the top of the flywheels. This obviously shows that I have a leak at the top where the two halves of the crankcases overlap at the conrod slots. So if you do this test, be aware that it might not be the seal leaking. If you remove the opposite drain plug before you do the test you can see how long it takes to leak and also see if it stops when the petrol is still high.

Brian.

Comment

Les, just another thought. Have you checked the breather hole in the petrol cap is not blocked? This would stop the fuel feeding through to the carb.

Brian.

Comment

1960Sportstwin 250

Just a follow thro' on my project.I decided to try starting it today, as its almost finished.Just need footrest rubbers,rear Brake rod,and a bit of tidying up.Put gas in,prodded Kickstart 3 times, and away she went!!I'm so chuffed!.It's only taken me about 8 years to get to this stage.
        I confess, I don't understand Bryan Magee's comment above, as I thought he was the chap with running probs, on his newly aquired bike?,( Is it me?,or what?).I will post a pic, shortly to show that the bigger tyres I have opted for,(3.25x19 front & 4.00x18 rear) don't look to bad.
        Many thanks to those who have provided advice & support,on here, with due acnowledgement to the excellent service provided by the Villiers Services, people, and Nametab Eng.
        Les
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Les Pilgrim; 09/10/2011, 09:22 AM. Reason: Add picture

Comment

Sorry Les, Post 17 should have been addressed to Bryan but now reading back I see he says sometimes when the bike stops it is flooding so my suggestion is no good.

I hate getting old!!!

Brian

Comment

25DC clutch cable

As i,m in the final stages with my project,I still need a few bits,pillion footrests,and a clutch cable.On checking my bike,it appears not to have a threaded register on the gearbox, to accept the fixed end of the clutch cable outer.I think I remember some 2T units having the fixed outer secured by a large ferrule,passing thro,and secured to, the engine plates,immediately behind the clutch actuator lever,(?).I have another 2T gearbox, which shows a threaded fixing point for the cable outer.Before I go and make myself look a right Charlie,by calling Villiers Services to send me a cable, can anyone advise if my bike needs the cable with the large ferrule thro the engine plate type,(if such exists!),or what?
            The gearbox looks unmodified,(ie not repaired etc),so I,m hoping my recalled 2T arrangement, is the correct one for my bike.
            Any suggestions,clarification etc, greatly appreciated.
            Les
            Last edited by Les Pilgrim; 12/10/2011, 12:31 PM. Reason: typo errors

Comment

Les If it will help this is the clutch cable fixing on my 25DC, its threaded into gearbox lug. Holes in engine plates are for routing cable only not fixing. This is a 4T but assume same for 2T
              Attached Files

Comment

25DC trouble shooting

Thanks John,
                on closer inspection,I found that the gearbox lug needed to secure the clutch cable outer,has beenremoved,presumably broken off,and the case cleaned up!,So,its out with the engine,again,and off to see my friendly Non Ferrocious welding man,to have a new lug fabricated,and duly,"Nailed on!",.Ah well,keeps me out of mischief,I s,pose!.
                Les

Comment

Les
                  You could make up a special cable to locate on LH engine plate, it would be advisable to make up also a 90 degree tube to bring the cable in line with frame. (see my sketch) Always a bad design on the Greeves. You would also need to make up an adjuster for cable either at the tube or maybe at the handle bar lever if using ones with adjusters. The fine adjustment being done with the adjuster on the gearbox. This mod would avoid the fiddly threading of the adjuster into gearbox lug
                  Attached Files

Comment

25DC troubleshooting

Thanks again,John.That looks like a workable answer to my problem,without going to the trouble,(and possible risk!), of having a lug welded on to the gearbox.I,ll give your sketch, a good dose of ,"Looking At!, and see if I can develop suitable parts to fit the bill.I have access to a fair sized scrap box,so if I can locate a suitable piece of tubing,(ideally,already bent!),I should be able to do it.Fingers crossed!
                    Many thanks for going to the trouble of presenting the idea to me, and i,ll keep you informed on the outcome.
                    All the best,
                    Les

Comment

25dc trouble shooting

Seems a long time since I was last on the forum so I thought I'd update anyone who's interested.The 25dc seems to have settled down now and the seizing up appears to have gone away maybe everything was 'Tight' and needed to be run gently for a few hundred miles.I did contact the seller and he was more than willing to come and collect the bike but then everything seemed to become ok.I do occasionally suffer from carb. flooding but on removing the float chamber I've found dirt in the bottom,more than likely from the fuel cans I'm using ! If Dave who lives in Trowbridge is reading this can he post a message with his house no. cos. I'd like to keep in touch and see his Greeves that he is restoring.

Comment

25DC(25DB!?) troubleshooting

Well!!,?, managed to overcome the clutch cable/missing gearbox lug securing point,problem, by getting a new clutch cable made,with a threaded adjuster,at the g,box end,which is secured to the gearbox side engine plate,(it passes thro the hole for the cable in the engine plate),by 2 nuts,one on the outside of the plate, and one on the inside,locking it in position.Like the suggestion you made John,but not using a curved tube,the cable just goes straight thro' both engine plates, and curves nicely forward, just beneath the primary drive casing.So far,so good!!,
                        Had a little ride round the garden on it, but its showing the usual signs of condenser failure,(one pot cutting out,under load,backfiring,etc,tho it ticks over nicely in neutral), so,i'm just waiting for new condensers from our friends at Villiers Services, to arrive, and hopefully,off to get it registered to ride on the road!.
                        Incidentally,can anyone advise how to check a condenser,other than by substitution?
                        Almost there, and looking forward to sunny days!
                        Oh yes,almost forgot,it seems as my bike is an early 1960 model,(late 1959?), its a 25DB,not a DC.Every day's a school day!!
                        Les
                        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 26/10/2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

25DB miss fire

Les
                          The usual obvious sign of a condensor failure is extensive sparking at the points. One thing you could do is swop the condensors over, if the missfire then transfers to opposite cylinder you have cracked it, if not then you need to look at ignition coils, wiring, timing, spark plugs etc.

Comment

25dc trouble shooting

Can anyone tell me what,in my case,is the blanked off large bolt connection,sitting vertically at the rear of the left hand side crankcase .The head of this large bolt is visible from underneath, just above the the final drive sprocket,and seems to have a left hand thread ? I have seen this connection capped off on other 25dcs.

Comment

25DC trouble shooting

Hi Bryan,
                              I think you are referring to the capped off, speedo cable drive, from the gearbox.
                              Most Greeves, I understand, had the speedo cable driven from the rear wheel speedo drive gear, mounted on the brake backplate.
                              Some other machines, used a shorter cable drive, driven from the gearbox.

Tho' I may be wrong!

Les

Comment

Yes its the Speedo drive housing plug (E8172) No 11 on the diagram, it in the gearbox NOT crankcase
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X