Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Kit' Off-Road Bikes of the 60's and 70's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Kit' Off-Road Bikes of the 60's and 70's.

This subject came up recently on another thread when a member posted a pic of his Sprite trials, and I wondered if it might make the basis for a bit of interesting discussion re members experiences with these bikes?

To get the ball rolling, here's some scans from a magazine article giving a brief overview of some of the models available at the time, from 'Motorcycle Mechanics', June 1969.

Brian T.
    Attached Files

Sprite Scrambler.

Following on from Simon showing us his trials model in another thread, and recent chats about Starmaker engines, here's a Sprite scrambler.

I reckon it's quite a handy looking machine myself, but what were/are they really like? Anyone had/got one?

Any comments or additional info/pics on this type of bike would be of interest, good or bad....but remember, it's just a bike!

Brian.
    Attached Files

Comment

Only dealings with Sprites I had was when Dennis Jones did the week long ISDT test event at Bordon where I was timekeeping. It went well and the handling improved during the week...we were sure the frame was...settling and the trail increasing!
      A pal built a Bultaco Matador and the only problem he had was fitting the chain into the MZ style enclosure. Went nicely and was reliable.
      Last edited by Brian Catt; 22/12/2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I had a Sprite for the 2007 season which was fitted with a 500 unit-Triumph engine and tele forks, which I sold on to Adrian D and his Bro-in-law, Brian.

In retrospect (isn't that always the case?) it was the best handling pre-65 scrambler I have ridden.

Here it is in full flight.

John R
        Attached Files
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 23/12/2013, 12:13 AM. Reason: Picture added (I hope!)

Comment

Back " when i were a lad ", i had a sprite trial bike, i think it was a 197 villiers, blue glass fibre tank & rear sprocket the size of a penny farthing!
          Very nice well built bike, but being only about 14, you haven`t got much to compare it to, i think it had teles on the front as well.
          Certainly did not have any trouble selling it, i think i made a fiver on it! big money....

Comment

Sprites, and other 'kit' bikes.

Thanks for the responses so far chaps, a great start.

I also found this interesting collection of Sprite images/info posted on flickr; http://www.flickr.com/groups/1391096@N22/

Brian.

Comment

kit bikes, etc.

Nice article Brian

I remember buying Motorcycle Mechanics the first time round. A good read for one and nine!!! Somewhere in my archive is an original brochure for the Sprite range. Frank Hipkin knew how to make bikes on a budget.

Comment

Sprite, etc

Nice to recap the Sprite/American Eagle story. Aside from the crazy mirror image affair with Husqvarna, Sprite actually made some good frames. Contemporary rumours of the day cast doubt on the quality of tube used at the Sprite factory not much to support them though. The frame was good enough to carry a Triumph twin set up. And a good bike it was.

Wasp never really stopped production. Output just slowed!!

Comment

Kit bikes etc.

Interesting stuff guys, and Phil did you spot the T100 engined Sprite on the flickr page; http://www.flickr.com/photos/3364623...ol-1391096@N22

Re the American Eagle bikes etc you mentioned, there's a bit more here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=2034

Good point on Wasp M (more to come on that), then of course there's Rickman Motorcycles still producing as well; http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/parts-and-prices.php

Brian T.

Comment

Wasp Trials.

Chaps, following on from your mention of Wasp earlier I dug out this article from 'The Classic Motorcycle' (September 2005) by Andy Westlake. It gives a good overview and a test of one of the contemporary cub engined trials kit bikes.

Oh, and Phil.....don't suppose there's any chance you could bring me back a Britten (as hand luggage....)

Brian T.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/12/2013, 11:10 AM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

The modern Rickmans are made by a diverse community. Most of who claim some approval from the Rickman factory. Some have original factory frame jigs and make their own versions of fibre glass. Imitation is after all the sincerest form of flattery.

There is of course a parallel with our own Greeves story as both companies were being managed by others when they went to the wall.

Comment

kit off road bikes of the 60s 70s

I purchased a sprite frame kit from Frank Hipkin in 1965, I remember going up on a Saturday in my Mini pick up to the Midlands, Frank was there and also TOM Leadbitter who I expect many of knew was a top Scrambler, and Speedway rider for the Brummies team.
                        I put my TCS round barrelled engine in and used that,keeping the rolling chasis, after a few rides I found it would not steer at all, the front forks were a bit like the Anglians if I recall, these were replaced by some Norton forks given to me by Ginger Budd the sidecar ace here in Southern england and these were a lot better, but I could afford at the time on my wages a pair of MP forks.
                        Later got a square barrel and head and put this on,but found out this was a scramble one ! it was ok for 2nd and 3rd hills but B----r all else so returned it back to standard again I think with right set up it would have been a good machine as Dennis Jones proved on many occasions Dangerous Dicky

Comment

Metisse.

Good points Phil, best post another link... ; http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/ourheritage.htm

Great story Dick, thanks for postin' mate.

Brian T.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                            I purchased a sprite frame kit from Frank Hipkin in 1965, I remember going up on a Saturday in my Mini pick up to the Midlands, Frank was there and also TOM Leadbitter who I expect many of knew was a top Scrambler, and Speedway rider for the Brummies team.
                            I put my TCS round barrelled engine in and used that,keeping the rolling chasis, after a few rides I found it would not steer at all, the front forks were a bit like the Anglians if I recall, these were replaced by some Norton forks given to me by Ginger Budd the sidecar ace here in Southern england and these were a lot better, but I could afford at the time on my wages a pair of MP forks.
                            Later got a square barrel and head and put this on,but found out this was a scramble one ! it was ok for 2nd and 3rd hills but B----r all else so returned it back to standard again I think with right set up it would have been a good machine as Dennis Jones proved on many occasions Dangerous Dicky
                            Like you Dick I had a Sprite trials bike, biggest load of crap I ever bought, got it off a Cambridge Matchless Club 'ace' at the time ( I dont think he got on too well with it either). Exhaust was a short stubby thing very noisey, swinging arm bushes were always wearing out, they were nylon only about 1/2"dia with no seals, & of course it had the standard iron barrelled 37A Villiers engine
                            Sold it for a 4 speed Bultaco from Comerfords & never looked back.

Comment

Kit off road bikes

Well said john, but Joanah Jones made it go in straight lines ! I changed it for an Anglian and that was a good move, then for an ex Malcolm Davis 5 speed sherpa, and Fred Davis said to me when I purchased it , that bike has never finnished lower than a runner up all the time Malcolm rode it! it did not live up to quite that standard in my hands allthough it improved my riding !00% OPPS! perhaps I should not have said that on our Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X