Insurance Drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Drama

Due to arrive in England in 10 days, thought I'd need some transport to get to the meetings. Bought a car, with a guaranteed buy back in 4 months - a good deal I thought. Then tried to insure it! Prices not bad, but tried to pay. First will not accept non UK credit card - "give the money to someone in the country & get them to pay for you". Next, ID - got to have proof of residence - copy of utility bill, copy of tenancy agreement, a bit hard when we're staying in a friend's house for no charge. I said I'm not emigrating, only staying 4 months, and I will be paying the total up front, not time payment. Besides, the car is worth not much more than the premium, and with excesses counted in, I would get not much back if I wrecked it. After all this, plus a phone call from Australia lasting an hour, I may have to put the nice little car up for sale, and go rent something.
    Very frustrating!

Mike, the whole thing is based on anti-money laundering legislation! It has taken 6 different tries to get my friend a bank account. Like you, no utility bill, no trust! The fact that almost everything is done on-line now seems to have been overlooked.

Comment

What is amazing is my contact phone number has since received 7 phone calls from the very insurance companies who have raised barriers to my applications, wanting to waste my time telling me the same story why they can't provide insurance & to tell me to give money to any UK resident so they can reject me because I don't have proof of residency.
      You have got to love'em, don't you.

Comment

Finally got it, so I'm now mobile from 3rd June. Gonna run up a few miles over the next 3 months.

Comment

Working...
        X