36MX4 oringinal kick starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36MX4 oringinal kick starter

Hi, if anyone has an original kick starter for a 36MX4 that they would like to part with I would be very willing to take it off your hands regards Geoff..

Geoff,
    if you get inundated with replies, I will take one off your hands

Mine has been welded at least four times.

As a last resort, Terry Weedy has a kickstart that will fit but it requires you to fold the footrest out of the way.
    John A - 268

Comment

MX4 kick starter

Thanks John will do but as you can see there not jumping out of the wood work, has anyone got the old tooling? Now that would be a great find !!!;then we could just run a few off when needed !! I think I just went into lar lar land. owell !!!

Comment

Geoff,
        From memory it was a standard bought in Kick start lever which was modified at the factory by cutting and welding to clear the low slung exhaust on the first 360s.
        As it was an albion box I'd look for an RE lever and modify that. Speak to Rob Thornton, he's the RE guru.

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
          Geoff,
          From memory it was a standard bought in Kick start lever which was modified at the factory by cutting and welding to clear the low slung exhaust on the first 360s.
          As it was an albion box I'd look for an RE lever and modify that. Speak to Rob Thornton, he's the RE guru.

Druid
          Hi Druid and Geoff,

I have one in my stash of goodies. I can take a pic of it and post it...I have to dig around for it, so let me know.

Regards,

Kenny

Comment

Might be worth contacting Frank Conley in the 'States. He was able to supply various obscure bits for an MX4 gearbox for me last time I was over there.

Carried in my hand luggage, they made the guy on the SF airport X-Ray jump about a bit...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hitchcocks have kickstarts for all sorts of Enfields. Also if your racing you will have a folding footrest anyway. On my 360 I welded a jap swivelling type to the original splined bit(technical term)

Comment

kick starter

Thanks Guys, the one on the bike is a modified one it has about 150mm added to the length it makes it easy to start but it gets in the way a bit when riding I'm going to keep bending it until I'm happy with it, the only reason I wanted an original one was for static display and to make the bike complete. anyway thanks for all the help I will keep my eyes peeled what ever that means? I think if you peeled your eyes it would hurt!! regards Geoff.

Comment

Regarding Druid's comment re: RE (?), I have a 360 gearbox and also an Enfield so I can test compatibility if required.

Comment

Kick starter

Thanks Bearingman, I do have the original one but it's been modified if you could send a pic and measure the length for me that would be great then I will restore the original. regards Geoff.

Geoff, I've removed your email address now you've decided what to do. Not a good idea to put them in posts - it attracts spam. Colin S.
                    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 29/11/2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: Remove email address

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
                      Geoff,

Druid
                      Hi Druid,

This is the kick starter we are talking about for Geoff, right???

Kenny Sykes
                      USA
                      Attached Files

Comment

36MX4 Kickstarts.

Hi Kenny, Geoff, Druid,

Maybe I can help out with a few more pics?

The first one is an early factory photo showing the 'straight' type lever. The next pic shows a bike sold on EBay a while back, again with the straight type lever. Pic three shows another EBay bike, this time with the 'cranked' type lever. Finally, the last pic is of Geoff's MX4 (as on his avatar, which he kindly sent me a while back), and it looks as though this may be the same as the cranked versions as described by Druid and Kenny.

I've seen pics of MX4's with both types fitted, so I'm guessing that the cranked type is the factory modified version as mentioned by Druid.

Hope this helps!

Brian.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/11/2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

kick starter

Thanks Brian I do not know how they road with that thing like that it is in the way no matter what position you put it in.

Comment

The kickstart on my MX4 is the cranked version shown in Bearingman's photo.

Geoff, if you mount it with the top half vertical, it is completely out of the way and allows a reasonable swing before it clangs against the footrest.
                            John A - 268

Comment

kick starter

Thanks John Boy that is what is going to happen now I have found out it is an original factory modification your idea make sense, thanks again everyone who has helped

Comment

Working...
                              X