TFS Trail (US model) Exhaust silencers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFS Trail (US model) Exhaust silencers

Just wondered what kinds of exhaust silencers are out there for sale to fit a TFS trial? I have attached some photos of the type that I am looking for (new or used). Here's hoping...
    Attached Files

Exhausts Silencers.

Hi Paul,

Any of these any good? ;

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/11/2010, 07:19 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Thanks Brian,

I do not really want to buy anything from Richard Deal as I had a bad past experience with an order last year

I never got refund and he never returned my emails. Too busy launching his new trials bike I suppose.

Comment

More than fair enough Paul, I completely understand.

Really sorry to hear you had problems....

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
          Just wondered what kinds of exhaust silencers are out there for sale to fit a TFS trial? I have attached some photos of the type that I am looking for (new or used). Here's hoping...

Exhausts on the first 2 bikes pictured look like modified Fantic front pipes. Might work quite well on the Villiers motors, but will be pretty noisy without back boxes fitted.

Have seen these exhausts used on Bultaco, and they are far better than the OE systems, which seem to me pretty nasty in the fact that they are both restrictive and heavy!

Comment

Thanks Brian,

I do not really want to buy anything from Richard Deal as I had a bad past experience with an order last year

I never got refund and he never returned my emails. Too busy launching his new trials bike I suppose.

From what I have heard from people in the trade who have sold things to Deal, he is a very dodgy character, and probably someone to be avoided unless you are not worried about endless hassle, and very possibly losing your money..............in just the same way as those who have "invested" in the new Greeves trials bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Normandale View Post
              Exhausts on the first 2 bikes pictured look like modified Fantic front pipes.
              Really...?

Comment

Exhausts and silencers

Paul

Referring to the photos posted by Brian.

1 & 2 - Fairly close to what the factory would have fitted. The body of the siliencer is made from roadster silencers suitably cut and shut. I presume they were fabricated in an un-chromed state. I am uncertain as to what sound absorbing was fitted (if any).

3 - This appears to be a Peco type silencer, straight through, with sound absorbing material, usually glass fibre.

Perhaps, you could get someone local to you to fabricate a silencer. I am not absolutely sure but I belive the club has factory drawings of the siliencers in 1 & 2. Send a PM to Rob Thornton and ask. You may also find it useful to fit stinger type end silencer to the tail pipe (Yamaha DT175).

You could try a bike scrap yard for a Japanese trail bike system and get cutting and welding. Might not look original but you can still ride it.

As with all these things you may need to adjust jetting.

Good luck

Sorry to hear that you have had problems with Greeves Motor Cycles Ltd.

Here to help

Phil

Comment

Exhausts

Richard Deal.....I had a bad past experience with an order last year

I never got refund and he never returned my emails.
                  Hmmmmm....I thought all this was done with. I met RD at a Stafford Show and then, later at the 'Big' Battlesbridge event. He came over to me as a very unlikeable person, (even to me who has, as part of my job, had to get on at close quarters with some VERY nasty people in VERY nasty situations!). I found this doubly sad as the GRA per se are a most helpful and open bunch, and would, had circumstances been different, been of great, (mutual), benefit to a new Greeves manufacturer.

Again, the GRA needs to state clearly their stance on Trade links.

As far as Exhausts go, I've got a Stainless Steel one on my bike made by a GRA member some years ago. Not cheap, but a cracking bit of kit Grommet! Maybe a look in the LL?

Comment

TES, TFS, TFS/T Exhaust Silencers.

Phil,

To clarify, I assume you mean the pics in post #1? These were actually posted by Paul himself mate. I posted the link to the 'Exhausts' page on RD's site.

The silencers in Paul's pics 1 and 2, (as Phil points out) look like original factory spec items. Compare them with pics 1 and 2 below, both taken (respectively) from the factory TES and TFS brochures, images of which I managed to find on the net. With the silencer in Pauls 2nd pic (on the TES), it looks like the exit pipe has been extended a bit, but is otherwise as original. The bike in Paul's 3rd pic is of a TFS Trail model.

Here in the UK, the TFS Trail model (as opposed to Trial, in respect of Paul's query) is very rare (it wasn't that common in the USA either, as I understand), but GRA Treasurer Don Heath found one and restored it (very nicely too!), before moving it on a while back. During the restoration, Don had a really nice pipe fabricated for it (see pic 3 below), and as Phil suggests, this may well be a better way forward for your TFS Trials model. It wasn't cheap mind, but it was very nicely made (in stainless.) Perhaps if you drop Don a line (contact details in 'LL'), perhaps he might be able to tell provide a bit more about it Paul.

Hope this helps,

Brian.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/11/2010, 08:35 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Rotherham View Post
                      Again, the GRA needs to state clearly their stance on Trade links.
                      Thanks for the post Peter, wise words as always.

I just thought I'd take the opportunity to publicly state that when I posted the link to RD's site, it was entirely as one Greeves enthusiast to another in a genuine effort to help, and nothing more. As 'LL' currently publishes an advertisement for Greeves Motorcycles Ltd, I naturally thought it would be ok to do so in response to Paul's post and query.

However, my decision to do so was entirely my own, and I'd like to add that nothing further should be implied by it in any way.

Brian.
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/11/2010, 08:33 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

A big thank you for all of your replies, information and suggestions. I think fabricating is silencer is probably the way to go. I really like the silencer made for Don Heath bike (photo 3) with its stainless steel heat shield. I will also look in LL.

As for RD, its all water under the bridge. Just hope no one else has the same problems that I did. Once I have figured out what to do about a silencer I shall post some photos.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

Exhausts etc.

Glad to be able to chip in with some help Paul.

All the best with the bike/exhaust, and look forward to seeing those pics!

Brian.
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/11/2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                            Really...?

The system on the bike pictured in the first photo looks like its from a 300 Professional Fantic, but with a smaller diameter tail pipe to reduce noise (and also performance!). Second system seems like a close copy of the 300 pipe................ which is pretty likely if RD has had anything to do it!

Expansion type systems with proper silencing work very indeed, and one of these in combination with a modern carb will make a Villiers engined trials machine work a great deal better.

Front pipes for the 300 Fantic can sometimes be found on Ebay, and will obviously need modification, but seem to be a much better option than having anything to do with RD!

Comment

Working...
                            X