Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19" rear trial tires????

Hi all and good am.

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere.

As a new Wessex owner, project almost complete...I took my front 18" tire and had a Dunlop trials put on it and attempted to order the 19" for the back...

Yes....seems, unless I want an off brand....no one supplies these sizes in trials.

Anyone found different?

My gameplan is to pull the 18" rear wheel off the MX5, put a trials on it...

Tons of 19" motocross tires...so will put a Motocross on it and put it on the MX, and have an 18" trials put on that rim and put it on the Wessex.

Thanks all...and sorry if already adressed.

Have a good one!
    Tammy

400 x 19 trials tyres

Available on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/400-19-4-00-19...-/260717230806
    Not a bad price at £51.50 including delivery. I should order one now before they go out of stock.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
      Yes....seems, unless I want an off brand....no one supplies these sizes in trials.
      Hi Tammy. What's an "off brand"?

My guess is an unknown manufacturer from an unlikely country. But does it matter on a trials iron?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

At one time trials tyres had to conform to an ACU spec if used in trials governed by them, and presumably still do. All to do with spacing between the tread pattern & depth of tread. I assume the tread pattern on those being supplied by Vintage Tyres conform as many will be used by riders taking part in vintage, pre 65 or twin shock trials. As far as I am aware from trawling the net this appears to be the only source of new ones. I think the VMCC also list them in their sales catalogue also supplied by Vintage Tyres.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/06/2011, 12:01 AM. Reason: Clarification of ACU spec

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          Hi Tammy. What's an "off brand"?

My guess is an unknown manufacturer from an unlikely country. But does it matter on a trials iron?
          It would all depend on usage. If it was to be ridden on the road, no doubt it would need to be "approved", whereas if it were to be used on an exclusive off-road basis, a cheaper one might suffice. Might be easier to do the wheel swap as Tammy outlined. That would give a wider range of Trials tyres (tires, Tammy) for the Wessex, while still having a good range for the MX.

Comment

I am sure these tyres are approved for road use, a reputable dealer like Vintage Tyres would not be selling them other wise, particularly through the VMCC. Most tyres are made in Tiawan & China these days the days of British made Dunlops is long gone.

Comment

Trials tyre choice

I would recommend the IRC trials tyre on the rear. These along with other makes are known as "stickies". Sadly, only available in 18". The rubber is extremely soft and will benefit even the most novice of riders. Far better than a 30 year old tyre that looks right , but is as hard as iron. Front tyre is not quite as important. Remember riding pressures:- Rear down to 3 PSI and front 8-10. Always inflate to 30+ when storing in the workshop and preferably both wheels off the ground.

As other have said previously, it all depends on use.
              Last edited by Phil Hyde; 21/06/2011, 02:17 PM. Reason: Clarification of dimension.

Comment

19 inch trials tyres

[QUOTE=Phil Hyde;7465]I would recommend the IRC trials tyre on the rear. QUOTE]Phil
                I dont think IRC Tyres http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20...tr1_trials.htm do a 400 x 19 trials tyre only 400 x 18.
                Vintage tyres would appear to be the only stockist of 19 inch & may (I think) have sourced these following a request from VMCC members who have vintage trials bikes such as Norton AJS Matchles etc who used the larger wheel. Greeves must have been one of the last manufacturers to have used the 19 inch rear wheel.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/06/2011, 10:02 AM. Reason: title added

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                  Far better than a 30 year old tyre that looks right , but is as hard as iron.

As other have said previously, it all depends on use.
                  VERY well said Phil....in attempting to remove the front tire...almost impossible...remember, she sat out in WY weather for 10+ yrs....below 25 degrees in winter and over 100 degrees in summer...

We resorted to the air powered cutter and even then struggled to remove it. Not to mention the smell of close up burning rubber....You know you are up to your neck in a project when you enjoy a smell other than paint or brake parts cleaner...LOL

Thanks for all the adivce everyone. Gonna just swap the rims out, so My rear matches the front.

Sorry about the "off brand" commotion...I meant a brand that is not as commonly used...and for lack of a better word...a cheaper version...I am really hoping I don't have to chew on my foot again, will need to add seasoning this time around....I am a stickler, try to stay with what I have tried and tested and has held up to the mountain trails.

Thanks again everyone and have a great day!
                  Tammy

Comment

These tyres have been around for a while and are pretty good.

Chris

Comment

We are going round in circles. Tammy is in USA, so why would she want to spend money importing from UK when she can buy in her own country? She has stated she will probably swap wheels to give her a better choice in 18 inch covers for the rear.

Comment

Brian ,

The point was to show that 19" tyres are available at a reasonable cost .

Chris

Comment

19" trials tyres

And Vintage Tyres Ltd will send to USA at extra cost.

Comment

Working...
                          X