Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 20SAS Hawkstone rear foot brake pedal assembly drawings

Hi
    I've read that the GRA have access to many workshop drawings and am just wondering if anyone has workshop drawings of the rear foot brake pedal assembly. (i.e. the bits that go from your foot up to the rear hub! but not including your foot!)

If it helps, My father has current membership to GRA as the bike is his but being almost eighty is not keen on computors

Thank you for any help you can give.

Neil

Factory Drawings etc.

Hi Neil,

Have a look at this recent thread, post #16; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...?t=1848&page=2

Details on how to get factory drawings (assuming they exist for the particular parts you need that is!) are in 'Leading Link'-get your dad to show you one if his recent copies!

The footbrake is part of the footrest assembly, which is a bolt-on sub assembly that fits under the frame to the rear of the engine plates. A simple brake rod connects from the top of the footlever to the brake arm on the rear hub. I've seen some of these parts re-manufactured for roadsters, and as they're not dissimilar you may be in with a shout.

If not, theres always EBay, an ad in 'LL', etc. If it's possible to uprate your forum membership to GRA member you can view/place an ad in the 'Sales and Wants' section on here (a GRA members only feature.)

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your bike!

Brian.

Comment

Thanks Brian
      Have asked my father to send Rob a request tomorrow quoting frame number so we will wait to see how he gets on.

I do plan to join myself but was just waiting for December to save myself a fiver!! sad I know but currently every little helps!

Comment

My pleasure Neil, glad to help, and believe me I know exactly what you mean re the fiver, especially the way things are at the moment....! All the best with it, and hope you and your Dad can sort something out with Rob.

There's loads of help and support in the club, not to mention some very clever and extremely knowledgable/experienced members. I've had some terrific support and assistance from the lads with my own bike, and I've learned a great deal (still am!) If you've got a Greeves it's definitely the way forward, as I'm always saying!

Cheers,

Brian.

Comment

Rear Brake Assembly

Neil

Just a thought about your quest for a rear brake assembly. Original Greeves came with very solid footrests. Have you got fold up footrests?

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil
            I have the fixed footrests but also understand I'll need fold up ones should I decide to compete.

I'd like to keep original set as they are for possible future showing (authenticity to my fathers era) but if you have any tips on how or where to get suitable set of folding rests I would be very grateful of any info please.

Neil

Comment

Sorry forgot to say my father is in touch with Rob regarding workshop drawings, so fingers crossed!!

Neil

Comment

footrests

Neil

Sounds like a good idea to keep your originals and obtain another set for riding.

Sammy Miller does some nice ones with brackets that can be welded on. Equally, I have Yamaha YZ footrests on my Triumph-Greeves.

Phil

Comment

Fold up footrests.

Neill, if you want good, cheap ones, scour e-bay/autojumbles for any YAMAHA DT/XT series footrests. they were spring loaded and had a built in 10mm bolt to fix them. I saw several at Stafford in October, 50p per pair.

Yes, I know, I'm a cheapskate, but times are hard.......

Hope it helps.

P.R.

Comment

I'm a bigger cheap-skate than the lot of you!

I made a complete, replacement footrest assembly for my Hawkstone with folding footrests so that I could put the originals back if needed. The footrest themselves are tube with a smaller tube inside to re-inforce them. I welded some strip around the edge of these which I filed into 'dragon's teeth'. I made up the hinges and set the angles, etc.

It took me about 3 months of cutting, sawing, bending with oxy-acetelyne heat, welding, cursing, sweating, etc, etc!

Would I do it again? NO!!

Neil - I've just replied to a mail on the subject in the name of 'Mal'. I assume this is the one we are referring to?

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Afterthought.........

Regarding footrests, you can get some niffty folding ones in the autojumble for about £18 the pair (I have some and they are good).

Just braze them on the side tubes, having removed the originals intact. You can easily rig up a back brake pedal. If you wish to return to standard, carefully unbraze and there you are. As the frame is thin, high tensile steel tube, you shouldn't weld it anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Thanks everyone, lots of useful tips.

Mals my father Rob but he doesn't do computors!

Comment

Working...
                        X