Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Supergrandad View Post
    I might have been giving you a bum steer
    The frame number is 24 TJE 227 Made in England.
    Ken
    Not sure we have been looking for 24 TJB 227.
    Its a USA export model

Comment

Hi, the Made in England is a usual marker for an Exported bike, and the E may well denote it went to the Eastern US imported R G Wilson in Massachusetts, Being in the New England area, his bikes were specced much like our own bikes, unlike a lot of the bikes that went to Nicholson Motors in California where the desert riding meant a fair number of differences to English desires.
      Have you found any other clues or stickers anywhere?

Comment

Ken's sent me some photos of his new acquisition to post on here.

Looks like a really tasty bike!
        Attached Files
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          Ken's sent me some photos of his new acquisition to post on here.

Looks like a really tasty bike!
          Cheers Colin, it is undergoing a strip clean at the moment. Not finding anything to worry about it all seems ok.
          When I get my manuals I will give the engine a good service and get the bike set up for riding.
          Regards all Ken.
          Thanks all for your input. I have now joined the GRA. I would like to ride in a Greeves trial at some point if one gets planned in.
          One Life Live it

Comment

Looks very nice!

Comment

Very nice bike indeed, this was micks bike previously?

Comment

Originally posted by greeves View Post
                Very nice bike indeed, this was micks bike previously?
                Yes it was, it has just undergone a full strip clean and service. Nearly ready for hitting the sections. Hope to ride it this weekend at some point.
                Ken.
                One Life Live it

Comment

Been thinking and researching about the frame number on this bike.

An "E" suffix on a Wessex has cropped up on here before and the speculation then was that the "E" could mean "Enduro" - because there was a US-only enduro version.

Or it could mean "E" to indicate that it went to Randy Wilson on the East Coast.

Tammy's Wessex "Grizzy" has the frame number starting 24TJC and she has speculated that the "C" indicates California - so a Nick Nicholson bike?

Either way, Ken's bike is a Wessex.

Going through Tammy's posts is always entertaining - shame we don't hear from her much these days.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

In actual fact Greeves used 24TJSA B C D E & F so looks an alphabetic date code
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/04/2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      Cheers John, very interesting. I do not think the bike has ever been outside the UK. It looks like the E might not stand for (export ) but a alphabetic code as you suggest. I have the feeling you are correct. Ken.
                      One Life Live it

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                        The UK dispatch records do not support that theory. None of the UK Wessex's had a suffix. I've just checked!
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Yesterday at the Ashford Classic Show, I came across Anglian TJSB103. I had always thought the 'B' suffix was an export model but this one was apparently a works bike and supplied to Gordon Farley. It was registered WWC 170F which looks about right! There was no sign of 'Made in England' which, as Colin said, is the usual giveaway. So, it looks like a non-export 'B' prefix.

Comment

Codes

From memory, the Anglians 24THSA had banana forks and the 24THSB had Cerianis.

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                              Yesterday at the Ashford Classic Show, I came across Anglian TJSB103. I had always thought the 'B' suffix was an export model but this one was apparently a works bike and supplied to Gordon Farley. It was registered WWC 170F which looks about right! There was no sign of 'Made in England' which, as Colin said, is the usual giveaway. So, it looks like a non-export 'B' prefix.
                              All the UK-dispatched TJS Anglians had a TJSB*** frame number.

103 isn't in the factory record but that just supports the claim that it was a works machine.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin why does 103 support the claim that it was a works machine?

Comment

Working...
                                X