No announcement yet.

Twanger's Corner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twanger's Corner Cap Comp....limited engagement!

Jeff Beck; "Sorry if it's a bit loud girls.....I had to turn it up 'cos Brian couldn't hear me.....!"

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 04/12/2014, 01:18 PM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

Let's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Following on from recent Chimp sightings on here, I just had to post this, if only for Mike Norris's benefit..... Hope it raises a chuckle Mike....

Also, if nothing else, it proves that the 'James Bond Chord' in post #18 is do-able chaps....

(This pic is one that I used to have above my desk in the office at College, back when I was teaching guitar etc....)

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/03/2015, 08:37 AM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

One of the best impersonations of Mick Jagger ive seen.
        Last edited by brokabolt; 05/03/2015, 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Rolling Bones.....

Hi Mick,

Yeah, all 'Cuddles' needed was a mirror and a tennis racket.....you shoulda' seen him go, especially if you played 'Paint It Black' on the old Dansette*......

*....wish I sill had mine....

Pic 2 shows his cousin 'Mick' (lead vocals) trying to think of a name for the band.....

Brian.
          Attached Files

Comment

The X Factor....

Originally posted by brokabolt View Post
            One of the best impersonations of Mick Jagger ive seen.
            Tell you what Mick, Freddie's gotta be in with a shout for that award as well..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbslxmDzfU

Check out these very talented guys too......
            A bunch of chimps showing how its really done.

Laughing is good!

bRiAn.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/03/2015, 09:34 AM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Chimp Jagger

Brill. I remember that Freddie Star sketch as if it was yesterday.

Comment

Small..but perfectly Formbied.....

This one's for JR.....(and any of the other music lovers on here....)

Hey John, further to our recent comms, here's a couple of pics of the new additions to the 'Thompson Towers Music Emporium'.....

First up is the lovely little concert size 'Laka' ukulele I mentioned. It's solid mahogany and has a preamp so I can share the love with everyone for miles around.... It sounds very warm and sweet with that lovely timber and will only get better with age/use. Really pleased with it.

Funnily enough, the last time I plugged in, all the neighbours kids were knocking at the door and wanted to come in and see.....It was lovely, and I wonder if for most of them it was the first time they had seen somebody play a musical instrument up close like that. The parents were beaming! (I shoulda sold tickets....!! )

Next along is my stunning 'Kala' Tenor size Ukulele (next size up, Soprano being the small sized one most commonly seen), with the most incredible flame mahogany laminate body. This is just an incredible instrument, and is a dream to play. It has the most beautiful balanced voice and just 'speaks' to me every time I pick it up. It also has a onboard preamp to add to it's versatility.

Now....I'm fully aware that this post will bring forth all the 'Formby' banter, as happens just about every time the ukulele is mentioned. So, for those that may not realise what an incredibly versatile instrument this can be (in the right hands!), I would invite to you check this link out. It has to be some of the the most sublime musicianship I have every seen...I hope you'll enjoy it. Here is the wonderful Jake Shimabukuro, playing Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody'....on four strings...virtuosity doesn't begin to describe it..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3RbO7updc

On a lighter note (sorry!), here's the song I'm currently learning with my Wendy as a duet....(just to bring it back down to earth....), from the great Steve Martin and lovely Bernadette Peters....the trumpet solo works very well on a Kazoo by the way, and don't miss the excellent joke at the end of the scene.....! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyinJyWUhas

Here's another version of this song, performed by a proud dad and his little poppet of a four year old.....completely enchanting, and very funny!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu0TIXzI1w

One last thing....I'm thinking of setting up a 'Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome' support group, so if anyone needs any moral support or councilling, drop me a PM.....in complete confidence, of course.....

Brian.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/10/2016, 10:18 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Jake Shimabukuro plays his signature version of George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps, May 18, 2009 at the Four Seasons Hualalai. The concert was a...

We expect this at the next AGM! Much more variety in it than The Bohemian Rap!

Comment

This one's a bit bigger.....

Here's the Ibanez electro/classical I was telling you about John....Solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, a lovely rosewood fretboard, bridge and headstock facing, and a beautiful abalone rosette around the sound hole to finish it off. I love it!!

Anyway, great to hear from you mate, and hope you enjoy the latest offering(s)....

All the best Jonah.

Brian.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/10/2016, 05:02 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

Only if I can bring my 10,000 Watt PA (and fuzz pedal) to play through.....

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gaWuadgL3g
                      We expect this at the next AGM! Much more variety in it than The Bohemian Rap!
                      Thought this was more your speed Brian.....

Uke ensemble!!Get this uke: http://amzn.to/1PtkJpZMore videos: https://www.youtube.com/RobScalloniTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/war-ensemble-ukule...

Twanger.

Comment

Great pictures and Links, thanks Brian, and good to see the Twangers' Corner brought back to life ................ as it should be!
                        For my part, I have only gone and spent my scramble-bike money on a couple of really tasty banjos ................ neither of which I can play, of course. Doubtless, the Greeves Championship boys will be relieved, though, that their mobile chicane has probably spent himself out of the picture (and their hair) at long last (?)
                        Coincidentally, another of our fraternity, who lives not a million miles from yours truly, has recently invested in a uke, so a little bird tells me. Doubtless he'll be fascinated to view your YouTube links.
                        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 24/10/2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Kala Uke

Thanks for the links Brian that guy is something else have recently purchased a soprano kala for 49 notes that sounded very sweet in the shop until fingersanfumbs got it home.
                          Pleased to hear you're keen on this delightful little instrument too! Looks like I'm the 1st member to sign up for your syndrome support group.

Unfortunately practise has took a bit of a back seat temporarily due losing part of my little left pinkie having a go at Speedway

Saw the Uke orchestra of gt Britain last week they were good entertainment too, didn't think 2 hours of Ukulele playing could sound so good but it did

Rob
                          Punchy 336

Comment

WOW! That was impressive!

Comment

That would be great Brian ,we will have a full Paramedic in attendance to deal with potential stroke victims, and an officer for Elf and Safety on hand as well!! no sleeping through the talks or AGM either ! .

Dancing will be allowed if wheel chairs don't take up all the room as well, revive the living dead is a good idea Mate grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Comment

As a relative newcomer to the GRA I had no idea there was such a thing as Twangers Corner, but have read through the thread with interest! My step son makes and plays guitars, the house is full of them, he has a channel on you tube, (search George Heatley), but for the technically minded this video of him building then playing an acoustic is pretty good...........
                                A video demonstrating some of the processes used to make a guitar by hand.Hundreds of hours go into meticulously crafting all the individual parts of a guita...

shame I can't get him interested in motorcycles though!

Comment

Working...
                                X