No announcement yet.

Greeves Championship 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck with that Brian. Are there no end to your talents .
    If you don't mind, I'll stick to cremating on the bbq.

Comment

....it's not talent mate....

Comment

I know the next round in the Greeves series isn't until 24th July at Gosfield, but is anyone else riding this weekend at Mortimer?

Comment

Woodford results

Hi Adrian,
          I know that Ian Cox is riding at Mortimer this weekend..........

Woodford was an absolute cracker - what a circuit.......those last laps seemed to last forever ...Congrats to Julian for his 5th on the Challenger in the last race - an outstanding ride...........I dropped back after catching my ankle at the bottom of the circuit on the second lap....but recovered - adn watched it took over a lap for Ricky Widdowson to get past Julian. I caught up on the last lap and we had a great battle - but he held me off to the line.

You are right it was a small entry - BUT great racing all through the pack.....Moment of the meeting was when young Josh McCoo , MArk Larter and Dave decided to go for the Grand Final ......we waited expectantly for them to appear in the first qualifier - but they never arrived. Craig rushed off to see what had happenend - and the "Three Muppeteers" had all crashed out together early on the first lap ,,,Craig rushes over to help - but they all had their helmets off - and were observed rolling around laughing about the incident...now THAT is the spirit of Greeves racing !!

Young Jos "The Kid " Goddard had a great meeting - and too be honest he was too fit for me - pegging me in each race...until his chain came off in the last race...
          It was great to see the return of Matt Valentine who had a good meeting and made kept Gary Smith and Matt McCulloch honest
          I have a copy of the Lapscorer results form Woodford posted on Facebook - and will get the final results form Dave

RAce 1
          1st. Matt M, 2nd. Matt Valentine 3rd Gary Smith 4th Ricky W, 5th Jos the Kid Goddard 6th Kim Morley
          RAce 2
          1st Matt Mc, 2nd Gary Smith, 3rd Matt V, 4th Dave Watson 5th Rick, 6th Jos the Kid (7th Me)
          Race 3
          1st Gary Smith, 2nd Mat M 4th Ricky W, 5th Julian Smith , 6th Kim Morley

Also - Gary Smith led the grand final up to the last lap when one small error was pegged to 2d..Well done Gary - Greeves Rock !!!

here are some excellent race footage from Mat Valentine
          Points race 1
          Greeves Championship Round 2 Race 1 - taken at Sproxton on 3rd April 2016.

Points race 2
          Greeves Championship Round 2 Race 2 - taken at Sproxton on 3rd April 2016.

I will miss Gosfield - as will be on Holiday - rumours of the Bells making a comeback ...adn definately Wayward Hayward will return after injury - so should be an exciting round

I will return for the Big one at Kendal ........Looking forward to that If you haven't made plans yet go for it - there will be special cups from our special event sponsor - all will be revealed - !! and Dave is looking to get some Greeves Scrambling legends to join us!!

More later
          Cheers Kim

Comment

Greeves Round 11 Maylandsea

Round 11 proved to be a very eventful round............A very good turnout - even missing some of our regular combatant's thruogh injury.
            Adrian Dickerson, Ankle (Gosfield)
            Graeme Smith , Ankle (Kendal)
            Wayward, crashing his road-bike the night before (shaken not stirred)

We wish a speedy recovery to all......in fact Graeme and Adrian were in attendance and in very good humour.

John Runnacles made comeback number 45 two on the bounce - Kendal and Maylandsea - and also good to see John Asprey riding well out there - All sterling GRA members and long term Greeves Scramblers - well done to you guys.

In the two points races the first bend proved to be challenging - 150 degree right hander - with a narrow gripping line and dry slipper grass elsewhere.
            In the first race MAtt Valentine tangled with Tom Wormleighton causing mayhem.... Gary went on to win from Matt Valentine (JUST) with an exciting finish

Championship Race 1 from Maylandsea Sorry Tom W got a bit of a knock in first corner

In the second race it was my turn. First of all Garys throttle jams just before start - he recovers to get back on the line and get a flyer.... I turned into the first bend in 3rd ish place - . Jos The Kid and and Ricky Widdowson were chasing up the inside and Ricky lost control didn't hold his line and took me (in the blue down - again Mayhem ensued - I was collected by Mark Larter - trying to avoid me......With slight concussion - I got going but was stuck in 2nd gear....Apart from groggyness and sore neck - lost points - no harm done - but a reminder - Scrambling is not for the feint hearted.

Thanks to Matt - all captured on camera - - and especially thanks for avoiding me - great skill .(watch it in slow motion - I and you can work it out ) ..and also a great ride from Matt V to come thorugh the front runners to second.......I love the way he shouts FORE to warn backmarkers of his overtakes (Its not Golf Mate !!) - at least thats what it sounds like!
            Greeves championship round 11 - championship race 2.Kim Morley goes down hard in the first corner.

In the Championship Gary looks to have an unassailable lead from MAtt McCulloch . In 3rd Place Julian Smith maintained his challenge despite his Challenger clutch going in practice. He rode my Dad's iron Barrel MDS and mixed it up with the challengers and some Griffons - so is sure to score well.

Fair play to Matt Valentine and also Ricky Widdowson - for searching out victims in pits and appologising......not sure that would happen in any other motocross series.

Good to see Mike Bell at the track - still recovering from his Rib injury and eating too many Burgers - but will be ready along with Adam to race with us next season

The day was rounded off in Style - with a great Greeves victory in the Pre65 Club team race - well done to MMatt McCulloch, Matt VAlentine and Rickwiddowson - showing the BSA, CZhuskies - who really rules classic Motocross (even if Matt Mc could have been riding either his Griffon or CZ - the point is made !!)

Back to MAylandsea on 18th September for the finale
            Cheers Kim

Comment

Thanks for more great footage, Kim, and for the nice welcome back (only made possible by your's and Adrian's generous offers of loan of a bike to ride ......... Thanks again, both). The true spirit of the Greeves Championship shines through!
              Thank you, John-Boy for being someone to play with on the day. Pleasing to confirm from this latest video evidence that we weren't lapped in either race, so you must have got my adrenalin a-flowin' again!
              Hope you're fully recovered from your off, Kim, and that Tom's fall hasn't hurt his banjo playing ability? I wish Graeme and Adrian a speedy recovery, too.
              Looking forward, now, to the September meeting. That's Sunday, September 18th at Maylandsea, Folks. Be there!
              Last edited by johnrunnacles; 01/09/2016, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks Kim for putting us in the picture once again. I wondered what might have become of you in the second race as you didn't appear with the leaders first time around, nor in fact did you appear on the pace thereafter. Sorry to learn of the reasons for it. Mind you the mild concussion seems to have worked wonders for your reporting.
                Sorry to learn of Graemes ankle injury too, he's not had the best of luck this year it seems.
                With a first corner incident in each race then it does seem a pity when modern motocross practise seems to make it's presence felt on the Classic scene. After all, I think we've all accepted we are not going to become the next world champion and take part merely for our own enjoyment and to keep the era/bikes alive. The pieces of "Silver" on offer at the end of the year hardly seem worth cutting somebody in half for.
                Didn't spot Mike Bell at the meeting so glad to learn of a re appearance from him next year. Along with the other additional Hawkstones on show, there must have been four or five, he will make a welcome return to bolster numbers in the older classes next campaign.
                Best wishes for a swift return to full health Kim, I'll happily watch from the sidelines until the new season begins.

Comment

Bend 1 was a touch tight for safety!

Comment

Originally posted by ADickerson View Post
                    Thanks Kim for putting us in the picture once again. I wondered what might have become of you in the second race as you didn't appear with the leaders first time around, nor in fact did you appear on the pace thereafter. Sorry to learn of the reasons for it. Mind you the mild concussion seems to have worked wonders for your reporting.
                    Sorry to learn of Graemes ankle injury too, he's not had the best of luck this year it seems.
                    With a first corner incident in each race then it does seem a pity when modern motocross practise seems to make it's presence felt on the Classic scene. After all, I think we've all accepted we are not going to become the next world champion and take part merely for our own enjoyment and to keep the era/bikes alive. The pieces of "Silver" on offer at the end of the year hardly seem worth cutting somebody in half for.
                    Didn't spot Mike Bell at the meeting so glad to learn of a re appearance from him next year. Along with the other additional Hawkstones on show, there must have been four or five, he will make a welcome return to bolster numbers in the older classes next campaign.
                    Best wishes for a swift return to full health Kim, I'll happily watch from the sidelines until the new season begins.
                    Adrian thanks for feedback - and no ill effects from the spill, although i was lucky . you make a good point about the first corner incidents..........I think the Greeves riders are competitive but fair - in line with the ethos of classic racing - although one or two will always push hard. My guess is that as Brian points out the bend was very tight.it also was relatively short start straight and had a large bias to the right hand side - meaning all the quick riders lined up together on the right. sitting on the line you had the feeling it was going to be tight ..in a sense it was like a typical modern motocross first bend short straight - sharp bend - designed to funnel the riders..........the problem is we don't have modern brakes and handling - and it was slippy off the racing line - and an incident is more likely with classics. My preference is always for a longer start straight and into a couple of more sweeping faster first bends - like we often get at Marks Tey - with plenty of room to manouvre and space an time for bikes to spread out ......The other layout we do at Maylandsea is better - longer start straight with a right kink in it before a left hander ..also the left hand start bend at Kendal was great as it was a big sweeping 180 degree bend - of course with tracks it depends on land availability and layout options....... just my pennies worth

Cheers Kim

Comment

• Next meeting at Maylandsea will be opposite direction, according to Greg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                        Adrian thanks for feedback - and no ill effects from the spill, although i was lucky . you make a good point about the first corner incidents..........I think the Greeves riders are competitive but fair - in line with the ethos of classic racing - although one or two will always push hard. My guess is that as Brian points out the bend was very tight.it also was relatively short start straight and had a large bias to the right hand side - meaning all the quick riders lined up together on the right. sitting on the line you had the feeling it was going to be tight ..in a sense it was like a typical modern motocross first bend short straight - sharp bend - designed to funnel the riders..........the problem is we don't have modern brakes and handling - and it was slippy off the racing line - and an incident is more likely with classics. My preference is always for a longer start straight and into a couple of more sweeping faster first bends - like we often get at Marks Tey - with plenty of room to manouvre and space an time for bikes to spread out ......The other layout we do at Maylandsea is better - longer start straight with a right kink in it before a left hander ..also the left hand start bend at Kendal was great as it was a big sweeping 180 degree bend - of course with tracks it depends on land availability and layout options....... just my pennies worth

Cheers Kim
                        Well said Kim,

Comment

• Just spotted a Griffon box in the spares section of OBM. Not used since rebuild by GN. Priced at £475 ono. 07734 451724

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                            Just spotted a Griffon box in the spares section of OBM. Not used since rebuild by GN. Priced at £475 ono. 07734 451724
                            Thats good value if GN can verify its one of "his"

Comment

• Penultimate round 12 at Maylandsea tomorrow

Expecting a good turnout and some exciting racing as the championship draws to a close ..... Only 4 more points races left in a marathon season .
                              Weather should be good and we are going anti-clockwise .....weather is set fair so it will be fast and furious . See you all there tomorrow
                              Cheers Kim

Comment

• Hey Kim, looking forward to the report and video from the last meeting Hope all went well?

Comment

Working...
                                X