Mark's Tey 1/4/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark's Tey 1/4/18

I was looking forward to seeing a report on Sunday's meeting so I hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder by kicking this off !

Maylandsea was waterlogged so used this instead and aren't I glad they did, it was an absolute delight to be there!

Dave Harper's boys did him and the Greeves Marque proud, Griffons, Challengers and the great little Hawkstones who deserve a special mention for their efforts.

Those watching gathered close to the pit area for the entertainment as the riders and their steeds came back up a long straight then took a slippery 180 bend before heading to the main spectacle a table top a that had a wide left hand turn at the top before heading across the pit area by dropping into a dip with 30 yd boggy area before exiting for the finish line. It was great watching the variety of ways riders got through, feet up feet down, wobblers, paddlers, divers and even bog snorkelers! Riders exiting left and right and somehow managing to avoid the fallers who did their best to remount and carry on... Brilliant!
    Don't know who finished where but it was good to see Graham Hayward, Ade Dickerson, Mick Bell Kim Morley, and 1 or 2 others all Hawkstone mounted giving it their all.

Perhaps those who took part can add to this from a riders perspective and it would be great if there are some photos posted of the day?

Rob 336
    Punchy 336

Lots of photos ........ literally hundreds .......... have been posted, Rob, but they're all on Facebook, which is a bit of a let-down (hopefully temporary?) for the Greeves riders who do not subscribe to that outlet. Agree with you, by the way, that those who tackled the conditions all deserve a medal at least!

Comment

Great report Punchy. Sounds like riders and spectators alike had a grand day out. I was on the entry list but yet again bike let me down. Instead took the opportunity to take it to someone who can get it running (unlike me that clearly can't ) Won't highjack this thread but will add more in due course on my Griffon project thread.

I agree, can anyone post some pics for us facebook refuse-niks?

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
        Great report Punchy. Sounds like riders and spectators alike had a grand day out. I was on the entry list but yet again bike let me down. Instead took the opportunity to take it to someone who can get it running (unlike me that clearly can't ) Won't highjack this thread but will add more in due course on my Griffon project thread.

PM sent Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post

You should be able to download pics from here https://www.facebook.com/groups/pre65/photos/

Comment

Thanks John but my hope was that some might get on here as Soggy mentioned not all of us conform to FB, and it would be nice to see some shot of greeves from the day in action on here

The man in the orange jacket was busy taking piccies I believe and was hoping he might just post some : please......
            Punchy 336

Comment

Arm severely twisted!

Just a few selected shots from the dampness at Marks Tey. Part one.
              Attached Files

Comment

Part 2 from Marks Tey.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice ones, Brian. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Punchy View Post
                    I was looking forward to seeing a report on Sunday's meeting so I hope I'm not stealing anyone's thunder by kicking this off !

Maylandsea was waterlogged so used this instead and aren't I glad they did, it was an absolute delight to be there!

Dave Harper's boys did him and the Greeves Marque proud, Griffons, Challengers and the great little Hawkstones who deserve a special mention for their efforts.

Those watching gathered close to the pit area for the entertainment as the riders and their steeds came back up a long straight then took a slippery 180 bend before heading to the main spectacle a table top a that had a wide left hand turn at the top before heading across the pit area by dropping into a dip with 30 yd boggy area before exiting for the finish line. It was great watching the variety of ways riders got through, feet up feet down, wobblers, paddlers, divers and even bog snorkelers! Riders exiting left and right and somehow managing to avoid the fallers who did their best to remount and carry on... Brilliant!
                    Don't know who finished where but it was good to see Graham Hayward, Ade Dickerson, Mick Bell Kim Morley, and 1 or 2 others all Hawkstone mounted giving it their all.

Perhaps those who took part can add to this from a riders perspective and it would be great if there are some photos posted of the day?

Rob 336
                    As one of those aptly described by Punchy exiting the bog to the finishing line I’m delighted to learn that our antics on the day were so entertaining, albeit perhaps not quite as we should wish.
                    I have to put my hand up to admitting to complying with most of the descriptions used. The one exception being that of Feet up as practised by those more competent.

I’m not convinced that the fun element enjoyed by so many watching was quite matched by all those creating it. Fun it certainly was, but from my point at least a certain amount of apprehension ensured it reached no higher plane.

I have to take my hat off to Kim Morley who kept ahead of me for most of both the Greeves races I took part in. Try as I may I just couldn’t find the necessary speed to get past, so spent much of the time trying to avoid the mud flying off his rear wheel. From the state of my goggles each time I seemed to have made quite a good job of it to. In reality it was more the bike taking me from side to side as opposed to any degree of piloting skill. He was such a gent too, slowing on both occasions right near the end to let me pass. Thanks Kim, reckon you’ll be glad when you’re back on the Griffon again!

For sure the Griffon boys had a field day and well done to them too. They were flying, as can be seen from some of Brian’s photo’s.

Comment

Grateful

Many thanks to all for your contributions the photos added what I couldn't! Although Brian it rather brave of you to admit openly that you're "Severely Twisted"

Oops! just seen there's an R between the A and M

Punchy
                      Punchy 336

Comment

Just watched the pics on Facebook, great day was had by all by the look of it, even if it was a tad wet

Comment

Seems to be a ressurgence of the little h/stones out lately, hope this is the case, as it looked like the smaller bikes had been cast aside in favour of the bigger griffons etc.
                          Am looking for one myself if anybody has an something all ready to go up for sale, h/stone, mds, etc.

Comment

Keep selling mine, Dave, then find I can't live without one! Something about the little blighters that's oh-so-hard to shake off! I agree, it's really good to see the resurgence evident at Marks Tey, but then they were proper Greeves, after all (?)

Comment

Don't forget about the Challengers John.

Comment

Working...
                              X