Oil to Petrol Mix/Ratio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil to Petrol Mix/Ratio.

OK guys and Gals, another question for you please, I will be using Synthetic 2 stoke oil Putoline in the new Greeves. What ratio should I be using ?
    50 to 1 ? Bike is an Anglian 37A with a Challenge Head and Barrel.
    Ken.
    Last edited by Supergrandad; 28/03/2018, 05:51 PM.
    One Life Live it

I use Mineral Oil at manufacturers recommended ratio, Dont forget the oil effect fuel viscosity so therefore requires carb re jetting. Synthetic not needed in old Villiers engines for trials and road. They like a good oily mix. This is a regular question, if you do a search search the forum you will find lots of other posts. Different owners have their own preference,

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      I use Mineral Oil at manufacturers recommended ratio, Dont forget the oil effect fuel viscosity so therefore requires carb re jetting. Synthetic not needed in old Villiers engines for trials and road. They like a good oily mix. This is a regular question, if you do a search search the forum you will find lots of other posts. Different owners have their own preference,
      Interesting, I run very succsefully the 1978 Fantic on Synthetic at 70 to 1.
      However I am not concerned about switching to mineral for the Greeves.
      What ratio do you run the mineral at ? Thanks for the reply.Ken.
      One Life Live it

Comment

I agree with John. The Fantic is a more modern engine. The Villiers motors were designed to run on mineral oil, and it does work. Check the manual for ratio, but around 20:1 is in the ballpark.

Wait for the howls of protest from those who disagree! As John said, it is always worth doing a check on the search facility, as you will find plenty on the main subjects you will want to know about already.

Comment

I use villiers services own brand two stroke oil. I know some will say its just any old oil with just the name villiers on the bottle, but it gives me peace of mind.

Comment

Fully synthetic KR2 at 25:1 in my Silverstone. Silkolene recommended 32:1 but get no seize marks and reasonably clean burning at 25:1. Dogsbody

Comment

Cheap mineral, 25:1 Greeves 24TCS.
              Smoke hides upcoming section, to riders behind.

whitehillbilly

Comment

I do respect Dogsbody's knowledge of Silverstones, but feel they impose different demands on oil, which may not cross-reference directly to a trials bike.
                Although the engines have the same roots, their use could not be more dissimilar. A trials bike plonks and is sometimes revved, whereas, from my experience of racing 2-strokes, the throttle is either fully open, or shut; well, just feathered so that a supply of oil still gets to the vitals. In my years of riding trials bikes I don't recall ever having the throttle against the stop.

Horses for courses

Comment

Working...
                X