Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Kit' Off-Road Bikes of the 60's and 70's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trickness.

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
    ....including my ex-works YZ folding gear lever with titanium pin!!!!
    Hi Phil,

Before I begin, I'd like to take a moment to give thanks to one of the great wonders of the world we all share....

Here I sit, in the lovely North Cotswolds, and not that far from your neck of the woods in the UK Phil, typing away a few lines to a mate who is currently on the other side of that world....! Isn't that amazing?!

.....err....now where was I......Oh yes!.....the "ex-works YZ folding gear lever with titanium pin!!!!".....I don't actually know what one of those is............but I want one!

So, the 'trickness' thing. We all like a bit of trickness don't we? Whatever bike it may be or country of manufacture. From a 12V conversion to a full blown bespoke racer project, our desire (need!) to tinker and fettle our bikes goes hand in hand with the whole experience, and the nice thing is that everyone can have a go at whatever level suits their knowledge and skills.

For competition use, it's if anything inherent in the activity, and similarly a matter of evolution. As the rider improves he demands more of the bike, so he starts to develop it, which is when modifications (and rule making) begin to take real effect. As the bikes and riders improve, the sections get harder, the jumps get higher, and off it spirals, all driven by that competiton element. It's why we still have (thank goodness) prototype factory kit racing at the top level. But the drawback is always cost....and skill. Adding lightness costs, and like Phil said, the most cost effective is putting the bike (and yourself if need be!) on a diet, and then the rider has to be up to making the most of it.

I think this gives us pause to consider that it's the 'level' of trickness that's the issue here. It's all about keeping things in the spirit that is intended, with the bikes carrying 'sensible' modifications that retain the character of an 'old' bike and it's period of manufacture, but make them a bit easier (and safer) to use, coupled with 'realistic' sections/tracks that suit them and challenge the rider but still let them arrive for work the next day!

Also, I think for many people on here, it's really now just about having a bit of fun and taking the bike out for a good ride without too much fear of bending it or themselves. As such, I hope the format for the proposed Greeves Day UK will be along those lines, trick bike or not! And that is the thing. All bikes should be welcome, riders of all abilities taking part, and all having the most fun possible.

Back to those period 'kit' bikes, and I've always thought that, despite their budgetary limitations and manufacturing shortcomings, they must have given a lot of fun to a lot of riders over the years at minmal cost, just like a classic Greeves still can today, and maybe that's the most important thing at the end of the day.

Brian.

Comment

The crux of the issue on trick bikes is what is the cut off point?
      Most bikes now, trials & mx, run electronic ign, which most people agree is more of a reliabilty thing over performance enhancing!.
      Then you have the other side of the coin, with bikes running modern japanese fork internals etc, all sorts of modern techy stuff concealed under 1960`s wrapping.
      My own interpretation of the rules, is that you can build your engine out of any parts that were available at that time, as long as you kept the external appearance in character with the original look.
      This also applies to the rest of the bike, frame, forks, etc, all of these are open to improvement, without overstepping the rules.
      Now for all the people that are going to say, that you should be racing a stock bike as they left the factory, well it didn`t happen in its day & it won`t happen now, bikes have been modified from day one.
      Another problem with modification, is regulating it!, other than scruiteneering, there is no way this can be achieved, there are no modification police out there!.
      Also entrant numbers are declining, & as much as i dissagree with it, if you take these bikes out of the equasion, then you won`t have enough left to hold a meeting, so i think we are stuck with it, but as brian said, most of us do it for the fun/social side of it, & are unaffected by the fast boys chasing the silver ware. so i guess its a case of don`t worry about what you can`t change.
      Enjoy your day....

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
        The crux of the issue on trick bikes is what is the cut off point?
        Most bikes now, trials & mx, run electronic ign, which most people agree is more of a reliabilty thing over performance enhancing!.
        Then you have the other side of the coin, with bikes running modern japanese fork internals etc, all sorts of modern techy stuff concealed under 1960`s wrapping.
        My own interpretation of the rules, is that you can build your engine out of any parts that were available at that time, as long as you kept the external appearance in character with the original look.
        This also applies to the rest of the bike, frame, forks, etc, all of these are open to improvement, without overstepping the rules.
        Now for all the people that are going to say, that you should be racing a stock bike as they left the factory, well it didn`t happen in its day & it won`t happen now, bikes have been modified from day one.
        Another problem with modification, is regulating it!, other than scruiteneering, there is no way this can be achieved, there are no modification police out there!.
        Also entrant numbers are declining, & as much as i dissagree with it, if you take these bikes out of the equasion, then you won`t have enough left to hold a meeting, so i think we are stuck with it, but as brian said, most of us do it for the fun/social side of it, & are unaffected by the fast boys chasing the silver ware. so i guess its a case of don`t worry about what you can`t change.
        Enjoy your day....
        Dave, me & you dont always agree, but I am fully with you on this one. Completely rebuilt trick bikes like the James & Dot's are not in the spirit of things, but no harm in a few mods as long as most the bike remains as it was built. Happy Xmas to you and all.

Comment

What he said.

Nicely summed up Dave, exactly what I was trying to get at.

And John, very much my opinion too, but I still like looking at the 'trick' stuff (no harm in that!) and admiring the thought, time, effort and skill that has gone into some of them. Basically, a nicely turned out but more 'standard' bike with a few sensible mods is where it's at for me personally, but each to their own I say - surely there's room for all?

Another point is that people build the bike to suit the class/level of competition if they're serious about winning, as you said Dave. It's when these bikes get used in 'easier' trials events that dolly's get thrown out of prams due to them having an 'advantage' over less modified bikes for a given section(s). But let's not forget the rider in all this! Also that affluence will have a bearing to an extent as well (and I'm not talking about Kim's burgers, ok?!), which can sometimes (sadly) bring a further unwanted dynamic into the equation...Funding it, especially these days, is harder for some than it is others, but all that is a 'competition' thing, and racin' is racin'. But for me the attraction of pre65 trials is that there can still be a part of it that remains grass roots, and 'standard' old bikes with a few basic mods as you say Dave, for reliability as much as anything. These early 'kit' bikes really tapped into that idea I reckon, along with the opportunity to 'improve' areas that had been perhaps less robustly manufactured, and still for some a cheaper and more viable option at the time, than buying a more expensive (but sorted) machine from a bigger manufacturer.

As far as mods go on 'original' bikes, again spot on Dave. Is there any such thing as a truly 'standard' bike, whether for road or competiton...? Alan Nicklin's bike has to be one of the 'trickest'/modified rubber forked Greeves trials bike I've seen, and in his hands a really effective machine (see attached pics) in modern pre65 events. I remember Alan brought it along to a GRA AGM a few years back (freshly built, it was sporting a 'Moorland Black' frame then...) and everyone that gave it a quick try out in the carpark was very impressed. But I just don't have the ability to make full use of something like that and get the best out of it. In short, it's more than I need or want. A customer of mine has ridden it though, (in a trial) and loved it (as I'm sure I would have too!) As you say Dave, it's the 'limit point' that is the key here, both in terms of the bike and the rider, let alone the cost/time/engineering skills elements!

Good story....I once saw an experienced gentleman, (slightly built, aged early/mid 70's?) calmly and smoothly clean a horrible muddy slot with a nasty loose tree root half way along it, on a very standard (and original/unrestored) looking old Scottish, (looked like he may have washed it once, sometime around 1972...) whilst the young lad in the lyrcra on the modern GasGas who'd just taken a five looked on in slack-jawed amazement. I looked at the lad and said "You can't beat mileage...!"

Back to the central topic of 'kit' bikes, I've also attached a pic of a Sprite that has had 'a bit of treatment' (ongoing, no doubt), to show a 'modernised' example of the breed. Perhaps in some ways these bikes were the earlier forerunners of modern 'trick' British two stroke trials bikes, like Mick Andrew's James in the final pic.

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/12/2013, 12:28 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Not a kit bike, but me on a Rickman 125 ISDT replica in the '75 Welsh 2 Day, not sure what the sidecar rider is saying, I think they had missed a route marker & had to back track.

Comment

The devil is in the details....

Great pic John, but the cap comp thread is in another area.....

But if you insist....

The rider in the outfit is saying to his monkey (sorry, passenger);

"Hey, that rider has a number missing from his plates....!"

Brian T.

Comment

Nothing but the tooth....

Or.....

The sidecar rider is saying to his passenger; "At least with our number, we can't forget what time your appointment with Mr Chan the dentist is....!"

(...well, the BMW roundel at least looks a bit like a 0....!)

Brian T.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/12/2013, 01:48 PM. Reason: Felt like it!

Comment

'75 Welsh

The sidecar rider & passenger (No 23) is H. Bauchs & H W Bauhs of West Germany on a 750 BMW. They won the Graham Forsdyke Award. I got a Bronze.

Comment

75 Welsh

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    The sidecar rider & passenger (No 23) is H. Bauchs & H W Bauhs of West Germany on a 750 BMW. They won the Graham Forsdyke Award. I got a Bronze.
                    Thanks for the additional info John, and I reckon many of us would be happy to acheive a finishers award, let alone a podium.

Re the Rickman, I found this on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFgfjV54Xjo

And this; http://www.sure-vent.com/rickman2.htm

Speaking of which.....

How about.....

H; "Hey, HW! Did you zee zhat...!"

HW; "Yar, he must have taken that corner tapped, in top!!"

Brian T.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/12/2013, 10:01 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Zundapp 125

Thanks for the links Brian, I think (like Greeves) alot of these Rickmans went to the US, cant think they were ideally suited to big burly yanks, but presumably Rickman like Greeves found an nich export market for them.
                      As for my bike (GVA 62N) I bought it new from Andy Lee for the Welsh, a very well made bike, but would have been better with the 6 speed Sachs, the Zundapp although good, suffered from only 5 gears and as one expects from a 125 a very narrow power band. I sold the bike via Pete Jerred Motorcycles of St Ives, Cambs. Last time I heard it was with someone near Ely. Was in his barn needing restoration, he offered it back to me but I was not particularly interested. I think he told me the previous owner had fitted a reed valve. If anyones interested I can give them the owners contact details.

Comment

More 'kit' bikes....

Returning to my thread.....well, maybe just one more first....

Sidecar passenger; "Watch out for zee crazie Englander, B R A K E !!!!"

JW; "Bloody Germans hogging the road as usual!"......(all together now, after three.....)...."I just don't believe it!!!"!

Right, kit bikes, where were we.....

I wanted to post a few pics of the Butler and Scorpion trials bikes, especially due to their connection to Greeves via Chris Butler. Chris supplied fiberglass tanks and mudguards to Greeves in the early sixties, and also (in 1963) designed and built his own trials bike, known as the 'Butler'. I've also included a pic of the Butler Triumph ISDT bike for added interest, a very fine looking machine in my opinion.

Another interesting 'kit' bike of the early/mid '60's was the unique monocoque framed 'Scorpion', which Chris Butler also provided the fiberglass parts for. The Scorpion's designer Paul Wright came from a race car chassis engineering background, and his design had more in common with automotive practices of the day. London sidecar road racers Bob Robinson and Ted Young were also involved in the bike's production.

With thanks to Don Morley and his excellent book 'Classic British Two-Stroke Trials Bikes' for additional info for this post. This is a superb resource and now sadly long out of print-grab a copy if you see one!

Thanks also to Michael Moore (yet again!) and his fantastic 'Eurospares' website for pics 1, 2, 3 and 5; http://www.eurospares.com/graphics.htm

Pic 1; Butler Trials.

Pic 2; Scorpion Trials.

Pic 3; Scorpion Trials ridden by Chris Cullen at the 1965 SSDT.

Pic1 4; Scorpion Trials, seen at the SSDT 2012.

Pic 5; Butler ISDT Triumph.

As always, any comments or further info welcomed.

Brian.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/12/2013, 11:50 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Butler

Chris Butler (t/a Butler Mouldings) had a factory at Haverhill, Suffolk, later moving to Cardiff.
                          Looks as though his other interest was Yachts. Found this piece on Google written by Chris in 2008 http://www.achillesyachts.co.uk/page58.html
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 26/12/2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Brian, great cap comp pic mate.. i`ll just add one if i may...Side car passenger to rider, " look fritz.... gestapo!!!!

Comment

Boxing Day Telly!

During rehearsals for the famous chase scene on the set of 'The Great Escape', as he watches the perfomers Steve begins to have doubts about his stunt double..."Mmmmm....it's gonna take more than a blond wig to get the 'look' I'm after.......best give Bud a call."

Brian. (Yeah....I know....ze 'cooler' again.....chuck us me ball and mitt would ya Dave. )
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 26/12/2013, 10:18 AM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

The Cheetah.

Here's another interesting example of the breed, this time the 'Cheetah', as produced by Bob Gollner and Mick Whitlock. I found the pic and info sheet posted on the excellent 'Trials Central' website (http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...s/page__st__15) so I thought I'd add it to the pot here.

The bike could be supplied with either Villiers/Greeves or Triumph Cub engines, and also the first disc front brake fitted to a trials bike at the time.

(With thanks again to Don Morley and his exellent book 'Classic British Two-Stroke Trials bike for additional info for this post.)

Anyone have any thoughts to offer on these very well made trials bikes...?

Brian.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/12/2013, 05:30 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Working...
                                X