32A clutch springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32A clutch springs

Have stripped the 32A motor's clutch down today and having seen all the rust in it think new springs would be in order. It has the 9 springs 3 of which have the extra inner spring. My question is this: Rex Caunt on EBay has a few of the paired springs left. Villiers Services just advertise the outer springs and also offer a lighter spring for modern clutch plates.

Anybody with any experience to offer on this topic? Do I go with a) replace like for like i.e. 9 and 3, b) just use the 9 outers or c) try the lighter ones?

Thanks

24TD118
    Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Hi, I use 6 of the lighter springs and 3 of the standard springs and modern clutch plates all from Villiers Services and a longer clutch arm ,works very well and you can pull clutch lever in with one finger.
    Simon

Comment

32A clutch springs

Thanks for your comments Simon - seems like a combination works best. Guess the longer arm contributes greatly to a lighter action. Compared to my BSA A65 with a Norman Hyde clutch the Villiers one seems very light anyway!

Comment

Hi Simon. Where do you get the longer clutch lever from? I can't spot them on the VS website.
        Ian

Comment

Ian,not sure where I got the longer clutch arm from maybe with the parts I brought from Cornwall?.Have taken couple of photos one with standard length arm .I'm sure Villiers services will have them.
          Regards Simon
          Attached Files

Comment

Longer clutch arm

Ian/Simon
            I am told by Mark Francis that he uses the Villiers 2T clutch arm as it is longer than the 32A item. As he points out though you need to sort out an alternative anchor point for the cable outer end.

Comment

Hi you can see cable anchor point in the first photo.
              Simon

Comment

I also have the VS lighter spring set up, modern VS clutch plates, as per Simon, on my TCS and longer lever. Mine looks like Simons top one, but longer. Sure a VS item many years ago.
                One finger clutch action, unlike 4 finger original,

whitehillbilly
                Last edited by whitehillbillies; 27/04/2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                  Ian,not sure where I got the longer clutch arm from maybe with the parts I brought from Cornwall?.Have taken couple of photos one with standard length arm .I'm sure Villiers services will have them.
                  Regards Simon
                  Thanks Simon. Ian

Comment

Originally posted by 350biker View Post
                    Ian/Simon
                    I am told by Mark Francis that he uses the Villiers 2T clutch arm as it is longer than the 32A item. As he points out though you need to sort out an alternative anchor point for the cable outer end.
                    Steve at Villiers Services tells me that the 2T clutch operating lever is indeed longer that that used on the singles. He says there is a snag with using them on a single because the profile of the lever end where it bears on the pushrod is different. They do stock them, though.

I suppose careful work with a Dremel could modify the profile if you have a short lever to copy, but then you've lost any case hardening at that point.

I guess you could then re-harden the end. You'd need case-hardening compound - available on eBay. And the ability to get the end red hot.

Any further thoughts or advice out there?
                    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 27/04/2018, 03:53 PM. Reason: More info
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hello All. On the clutch arm/springs issue, my experience is this: On the 9E/31A unit fitted in my '58 model Scottish, a previous owner had simply cut the standard arm and added a bit to lengthen it. With that extension, standard springs and original Villiers plates, it gives a lovely smooth and light action. The clutch cable is quite long and I make sure it has a nice smooth run, so this must help.

Comment

clutch lightener

I fitted one of these, when my wife was riding it, when I had it fully road registered. She has little hands.

whitehillbilly
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just bumping this thread....thought it might be handy for Tim (Veg) following his recent postings as it has additional related info.

Hope it helps,

Brian.

Comment

Thanks Brian

Comment

Thanks also to the members who contributed info to this useful thread.

Fitting a longer clutch arm is a worthwhile mod and, as JR said, quite common.

Glad it was of use Tim.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                              X