No announcement yet.

Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My throttle and clutch cable both lead through the left hand side gusset . The other cable is the kill switch
    Attached Files

Comment

And this is view from top
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Kim, a great help. you measured 51 inches nipple to nipple - time to lay off the pies my friend .

As usual I find I take one step forward and two back. throttle cable now done and produces a lovely snappy action, but... mk 2 Amal doesn't fit under exhaust. wish I'd checked it before going for full carb overhaul. In the words of the great philosopher Homer, Doh!

Also struggling with ignition. the Electrex World cdi which was fitted professionally produces a good spark but bike wont fire. only thing I can think is timing has not been set properly. hopefully will have time to look at this tomorrow.

On another subject, I need some new rubber front and rear. what are your preferences of tyre for the Griffon, and your supplier of choice.

Paul

Comment

Re: Electrex World CDI

I had exactly the same when fitting an Electrex kit to a 32A last year, good visible spark but would not fire, rang VS who told me to reverse the connections to the CDI (ie swap over the wires, blue and black I think) as there had been a change in supplier which rendered the instructions incorrect. It meant changing the female spade connectors as they are different sizes, but I did that and it fired up straight away and has been fine ever since. Might be worth a try? Or ring Electrex (or Villiers Services, though strictly speaking its not a Villiers engine........) to verify my experience.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, it had occurred to check the wiring and I'd noticed connecters are different, so assumed this couldn't be the problem. It was VS that fitted the kit when doing some other engine work for me, so you may have hit the nail on the head. certainly worth a try.

Paul

Comment

Electrex igniton

Any news with the ignition? I've got the same problem with my electrex world ignition, got a spark but not 100% sure which line is the firing point there is 2 lines and a dot, one on the edge of the cnc stator housing, a dot not far off that and a lone on the outside of the stator housing?
              Any tips or help would be great!

I should add I bought the bike and it was rough so I restored it and this came fitted but without instructions.

Comment

If you go on the Electrex-World Ltd website and click on the stator kit relating to your engine, when I bought mine (a couple of years ago for a 32A) there was a 'fitting instructions' tab on its details page, I used that. Failing that, give VS or Electrex themselves a ring. I'll dig out my copy but I won't have access to it for a week, you may not want to wait that long!

Comment

Electrex igniton

Thanks for the reply,
                  Yes I have downloaded the online instructional but, believe it or not, even though the code is the same the images and instructions show a slightly different set up with a degrees measurement on the rotor and red marks showing firing points. (Which I don't have)
                  I will ring electrex world today and see what they say.
                  I am struggling to get my griffon to start just get a few loud bangs out of the exhaust, similar to a back fire or just excess petrol in the exhaust. I have adjusted and tried again but Nope!
                  Thanks David

Comment

Hi Webby, as Jeff suggested previously, reversing the connections is an option, and I can officially report it worked for me. Thanks for the tip Jeff. However... you'll like this.....

Desperate to know if the cdi actually worked or not, the plan was to get the bike to fire, then shut it down. I had half an idea the kill switch might be the problem so left it unattached. After much kicking and a few (extremely loud) backfires, the old girl finally burst into life. Feeling pretty damn pleased with myself, and soaking up the applause from the assembled audience of a couple of mates, and my missus and daughter, I calmly pulled out the fuel pipe from the carb to wait for the fuel to run out. However, the float bowl holds a fair bit of juice, and took the best part of a minute to empty. By which time, the various finger tight nuts and bolts I was going to tighten later, one by one gave up the fight. first one of the shocks flopped off the top mounting, closely followed by the rear wheel. Chain guide was next to hit the tarmac, just beating the primary chain case, then as if the neighbours weren't terrified enough, the exhaust decided to give in to gravity. In case you were wondering, a Griffon is effin' loud without any exhaust - my ears were ringing 2 days later.

All this would have been really funny if it wasn't for the fact that the 2 studs holding the gearbox to the barrel both sheared off under the stress and vibration as again the nuts were only finger tight. So full strip down and off to the local Engineers for drilling and helicoiling. An expensive and irritating lesson learnt.

If you've been following this thread, my original aim was to get the bike up and running and enter at least 2 rounds of the Greeves championship. the bike won't be ready for Bennington Lordship, so this leaves the last 2 rounds of the season - no pressure then. I will be at Bennington Lordship to pick up some bits from Terry Sewell and watch the racing, so I would fully expect (and deserve) some ribbing for my grade A buffoonery.

see you there

Paul

Comment

Whoops!
                      Still, at least now its a runner............

Comment

Sounds hilarious Paul.

Il be there Sunday.. To be fair by pulling the fuel pipe the engine will speed up and run lean! So vibration will ensue

Glad you are getting there so to speak...

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                          Sounds hilarious Paul.

Glad you are getting there so to speak...
                          Hard to 'get there' without a back wheel Incidentally, after straightening and rechroming of the stanchions the ceriani's have come up a treat. See you Sunday.

Comment

Brilliant post Paul, I had a good old laugh at that one.
                            I am struggling to get to the Greeves races this year but plan to make a big comeback in 2018.
                            Hopefully see you then.

Comment

Nice one Craig, it would be great to see you and the young 'en on the track again. Mortimer is definitely going in the diary as soon as the date is announced. Double checked the pre 65 website and there are 3 rounds plus the extra one at Bennington, so I may have the chance to ride in anger this season, but realistically it will be 2018 for me too.

But lots of time yet for further mechanical mishaps and bungled bike building - I'll keep you posted. For example, I spent 3 hrs last night prepping my tank for repainting - should have checked for leaks first...

Paul

Comment

So here's the next instalment of 'Gullibles Travels'...My lovely shiny wheels needed to be shod in my lovely not so shiny new tyres. I can do that, how difficult can it be, thought I....very effin' difficult is the answer. Go on YouTube and there are loads of videos of burly chaps fitting motocross tyres in a matter of minutes - with nothing but a bit of lube and a couple of tyre irons. Actually the lube may have been a different online video but I think we should move on.

Anyway, after the best part of 4 hours over 2 days, much sweat, skinned knuckles and ripped finger nails, I was running out of ideas. Then a eureka moment. Stick the tyre in a bath of hot water to make it as flexible as possible... and guess what .. it worked. I finally got the front tyre on over the rim lock. I'm now more pleased than a dog with two danglers, so straight off for a foot pump. You are probably ahead of me here....air coming out as quick as it is going in. I've managed to split the inner tube somewhere along the wrestling match. 'Oh bother, this is an unfortunate occurrence!' I thought - or words to that effect.

Now I know when I'm beat, so off to the local bike shop and both tyres fitted properly in double quick time and for a reasonable price. Why didn't I do this in the first place. I guess like a lot of you chaps I take a great deal of satisfaction from doing as much as possible myself, but when you spend hours struggling and failing, and eventually have to get the experts in, it can be soul destroying. However, the rolling chassis is now almost complete.

Just picked up engine / gearbox after having snapped studs removed. While at the engineers, I've had threads for the exhaust collar sorted also. Previously they all had really badly inserted helicoils, so decided to have them out, and re-threaded properly in a larger thread.

So it may not look it, but it feels like I'm nearly there. One issue though, look at the swing arm in the pic. its had about 3" added to the length and tilted up. coupled with the fact the bike originally had a wide ratio gearbox, I'm wondering if it was used for hill climbs or grass track. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this, and whether this swing arm would screw up the handling for scrambles. I talked with my tame welder about cutting it back to original spec, but he thought it could be more cost effective to try and source another one. Anyone got a spare knocking about?

And finally, for a bit of comic relief, a couple of pics from the lawnmower racing at Bennington Lordship a couple of weeks ago. Now that is bonkers
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X