Ethanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol

Below is a question Andy Hyland[a committee member of a historic vehicle club] posed to Esso Customer Care:-
    "There is a lot of discussion as to whether ESSO Premium Petrol has any ethanol content or not. Would you please confirm if there is any ethanol in petrol from Esso Stations?"

REPLY:-
    "Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care. The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains 5% ethanol as required under the Governments Renewable Transport Fuel Obligations [RTFO]. There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel [such as ethanol] to be present in super unleaded [97 Octane grade fuel]. Esso super unleaded petrol [Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 ] is ethanol free [ except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland ] and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Synergy Supreme+ in other areas of the UK.. We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ ,providing they do not fill up in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland".

That doesn't help me !!! starider
    PP. BTSC

esso

interesting. it does however help me, and i thank you for posting.

Comment

You lucky sods! Wish I could get Ethanol free fuel at the pump here in SoCal, I have to buy 110 octane leaded race gas at $55 for 5 gallons

Comment

Yes very helpful ... And as I work for BP I should get my finger out and find out the same .... Will post here when I fnd out . Cheers Kim

Comment

Right, next exercise is to obtain some Esso if I can find any around here and test it for ethanol. Will compare results against Shell V Power.

Looks like supermarket petrol has plenty in it as I know of an after-market Bultaco seat and tank unit that was positively consumed by the stuff! made me wonder if it was E10? Do we have any of that around yet or is it a delight to come?

Comment

From Facebook.....V Power has 5% ethanol. Full quote attached:
            According to their websites:
            BP Ultimate also does not contain ethanol
            Shell V-Power can apparently contain "up to 5%"
            Last edited by Brian Catt; 03/06/2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

ethanol

can i ask why ,i run both my greeves 3 panthers 1 bsa and a triumph all on any fuel that is near to hand when i need t ,i have not had any problems with the apparent problems that i read about ,either i am very lucky and lead a charmed life,or could it be that i ride every day and love getting on a bike for a quick 300 mile ride or a good long distance trial on the greeves outfit ,i think that if you rode every day the problem would disapear ,so you know the answer give the car to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend and use your bike instead will

Comment

E10

As I understand once we get to E10 it has to be sold as a different product. Used it in Australia. Pretty weird smell too.

Comment

Thanks Starider! I just spent many, many hours repairing two fibreglass Silverstone tanks and have them ready for painting. Before doing so I wanted to check them for any weeping and was debating what to fill them with. I now have my answer. Luckily I live in the middle of the country.

Comment

For what it's worth I just bought 10 litres of Shell V Power and tested it for ethanol. I measured it at 4%. I know that this may vary because apparently it may or may not be added at the depot, but it is clearly not safe to assume that Shell's finest is ethanol free.

Comment

Ethanol

I haven't tried the Esso fuel that is supposed to be Ethanol free as I now have a new GRP tank for the Griffon, which is made with the appropriate Ethanol proof resin. Has anyone tested any of the Esso [so called Ethanol free?]...........................starider

Comment

I tried to get some this morning. It turns out my local Esso station only stocks regular unleaded.

Comment

The sample of Esso Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded I bought today contained no ethanol

Comment

Working...
                          X