325 East Coaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325 East Coaster

Now waiting for delivery of my 325 East Coaster (32DD124). These were imported by Randy Wilson,
    not sure if any other American importers had them.
    I have the engine as well, just not in the frame. No doubt more light will be thrown on the numbers of these produced,
    though again without export records that might be more difficult.

Interesting news Tony, should have a 'B' suffix. At present I have 4 of these registered as surviving

32DD 124B b/case found in USA 4/17 & bought by a GRA member (Tony)
    32DD 125B GRA member in Canada un-restored
    Note these have a DD frame number which may have been from old stock to make up a 32DC fitted with steel tank & alloy guards so not an Essex.
    32DC 148B In USA believed a runner
    32DC 153B in USA possible runner colour blue 5/17

So looks like there could be at least another 4 (149B-152B)

I have attached the Randy Wilson 325 East Coaster road test leaflet below which was kindly sent to me by member Stan Nicholson of Canada. It was codged together using a road test of a 32DC with pics of the UK East Coaster. No date on Randy Wilsons leaflet but it must have been later than September 1965 to get the pics from the UK EC Road Test by Motor Cycle Mechanics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/07/2021, 03:20 PM.

Comment

32dc153b

Another Randy Wilson 325 East Coaster recently sold on Craigslist in the USA

If any of our USA members bought this they may like to come on board.
      I understand that the frame number of this bike was 32DC153B

Comment

32DC144 where are you

Was checking through some old notes today & found reference to a 32DC144 registered VVL175 on 28/8/63 in the UK. Its currently on SORN. with last keeper change 18/8/08 enging number 222D1458 The number looks to be in the same batch as the Randy Wilson 32DC East Coasters.
        VVL175 where are you
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/08/2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I have just picked up the 325 East Coaster today. Never mind fake or fortune, here is the provenance for a genuine 325 East Coaster

Stuck on the rear number plate on top behind the light.

Comment

Pure gold

Comment

Being an East Coaster that would be black gold then Phil?

Comment

Quite a rare machine. Only 9 listed on UK despatch record. Doubt if many have survived. Perhaps there is scope for an export record of the repatriated machines and those still abroad.

Comment

Randy Wilson Obituary added

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                  Quite a rare machine. Only 9 listed on UK despatch record. Doubt if many have survived. Perhaps there is scope for an export record of the repatriated machines and those still abroad.
                  The 325 East Coaster was not sold in UK Phil, only sold in USA by Randy Wilson, see his sales leaflet shown earlier in this thread.
                  I assume the 9 listed in UK records are 32DD 'Essex' bikes. Wilson used both DD & DC frames to produce his 3T engined East Coasters. I think it is likely that he assembled these at Boylston from parts supplied by Greeves, but with the passing of time and the absence of export records I doubt whether we will ever know for sure. This would have been towards the end of road bike production and I suspect Greeves were clearing out old stock. I did try to trace Wilson a couple of years back but no success.
                  Looks like he died 21st November 2014 http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/gr...&pid=173293267
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/09/2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

A few pictures of the bike - with recorded mileage of 5190 and a seized engine - it might be accurate as the hubs
                    and other parts are relatively clean. I am stabbing in the dark however looking at the slight damage on the
                    right hand footrest, mudguard, fork and the corner of the throttle which is jammed open I think that maybe
                    the rider had an off and the throttle jammed open and seized the engine.
                    Pure speculation of course and I will never know, but sounds plausible.

only missing parts are the points cover, the rear speedometer drive is broken and the rear mudguard disappeared,
                    however it might surface.

The silencer and the wheels have light pitting of the chrome, but cleaned up and standing a few yards away
                    they look really good. The frame is rusty in a few places which can be touched in as I am only going to get
                    the engine sorted and get it back on the road.
                    Last edited by tony; 28/09/2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Diamond in the rough

Hi Tony

Looks like you have a little gem. A small amount of work should see the bike up and running. The engine seizure is the only real problem.

Your theory on the bikes demise is pretty plausible and supported by the general condition of the cycle parts. I'm no roadster expert but are the bars standard/original?

Probably got genuine 1965 Essex air in the tyres

Good luck

Phil

Comment

Only one pic Tony
                        Engine seizure is probably just pistons. File off the high spots, new rings & hone barrels & it will probably be fine
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/09/2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

It is only 50% original air Phil - I am not sure if the handlebars are original or not. I'm sure some one knows.
                          Horn switch looks original though.

Comment

The handlebars, if the same ones as in the pre shipment pics, are correct for UK East Coaster, I would assume that Randy Wilson used the same ones on his 325 US version

Comment

Hopefully these photos will show
                              if not try this link
                              https://photos.app.goo.gl/5GJeTiEe3oC1XH113

Original tyres so mileage might be accurate
                              Last edited by tony; 28/09/2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X