RES Silverstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RES Silverstone

Purchased another Silverstone yesterday, an RES this time. In a thousand pieces, engine in bits, gearbox apart etc. so major job to restore. Interesting that the barrel has a reed valve conversion, welded on manifold with plastic type reeds, never seen one like this. The bike is still on Dunlop Triangular KR76/ KR73 tyres so probably not used since early 70s. A letter from Greeves in January 1973 to the owner at that time, Mr G Sercombe of Coventry would seem to reinforce that theory.
    The question is who did the Reed valve modification?
    Dogsbody

I have to say I'm jealous. I must be looking in he wrong places. There was a fellow racing in the Bantam club who had a Greeves fitted with a reed valve, in fact he wrote a few articles in he Bantam Club magazine back in the 1970s describing the experience. I should be able to find his name given a day or two. I think he originally bought it from Dave Kingsnorth in Desborough. Good luck with it and if you come across another basket case......

Comment

I had my memory jogged overnight. The Silverstone racing in the mid 70s was owned by Jeff Wood and the conversion was done by Bernard Hargreaves, a Harpowa unit. There isn't much to say that it's the same bike, there may well have been others.

Comment

Yes I think it is a Harpowa conversion. Friend called to look at my new acquisition and said the plastic petals looked like the ones they used on a Yamaha back in the seventies. Colin

Comment

Try Rob, he might know a bit more on this subject

Comment

Kevin, you have a pm. Colin

Comment

Working...
            X