road legal confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
    As far as the hooter is concerned. yes I think it's correct that you need a steady note from an electric horn. Should it fall off soon after the test, then a bulb horn should be fitted for just this emergency!
    I took a Greeves for its MOT last June.It didnt have lights so I fitted a bulb horn and a battery powered horn.The tester said the bulb horn was legal and the electric one wasn't !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      As suspected its been off the road prior to free 'Historic' tax. & will still be licenced as a 'Bicycle' So you need to fill in a Change of Taxation Class in section 7 to Historic and send it to the DVLA at Swansea. As I said before I think you will have to pay (currently £41) and then they will refund. But as you say maybe a call to them to see if you need to send any money. It may be able to be done at a Post Office that does road tax, worth asking there first as they may be able do do it.
      Nice registration, I did not have it on my list.
      I like the reg too....
      so I guess 'Bicycle' is dvla speak for motorcyle the taxation class on my v5 says 'not licenced' which seems a bit odd. Surely the taxation class reflects what the vehicle actually is, and whether it is licenced or not has no bearing on it's class. Slightly academic as the v5 will be changed to historic as soon as I receive it from dvla. (I only have the new keepers supplement at present).

So to surmise,
      trials tyres should be ok as long as condition is acceptable
      horn is not required for mot but a bulb horn makes good sense in practice
      speedo is definitely required - a small bicycle type digital meter should be fine
      lights are not required (though there is no such thing as the much discussed 'daylight' mot

One thing I hadn't mentioned previously- the number plate is the original rubber pad. Has anyone any clue if these would be acceptable now?

Paul

Comment

Mot

I have a rubber No.plate fitted to my Anglian and it has always passed.
        The matter of the bicycle horn is quite clear it MUST be a single tone and I found one which is mono tone and that also has always passed. If you go to a cycle shop and ask you might find such a horn or try Ebay and read carefully the description you may find one. It is no good writing to the vendor they do not speak our language nor understand. At £ 1.50 each you can buy a few from different suppliers to get what you want.

Comment

Yes 'Bicycle' is DVLA speak for Motorcycle. The reason why your bike is listed as 'Un-lincenced' is because there has been a change of owner (you) whilst it was untaxed, and a new V5c has been issued but the bike was not re licenced at the time. Once re-licenced it will revert to 'Bicycle' before you change it to 'Historic'.
          A rubber number plate with white letters & numbers is legal and OK on a bike of this age. Reflective plates are legal requirement on vehicles registered on or after 1st January 1973
          A horn MUST be fitted BUT can be a bulb horn.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/10/2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

It just shows how confusing these matters are!!! When I worked at Cricklewood on the side of the A5, we had a bus lane right outside our premises and sure as eggs are eggs, the gents in blue were sent to enforce the letter of the law. They caught the boss driving the length of the premises from a side road to the gate, and also it appeared as if they nicked a lad on a solo. We had a few cracks with the coppers, as we were waiting for one of our trucks and I casually asked if they could nick motorcycles when the tax disc plainly states "BICYCLE", a device allowed in Bus Lanes. One copper said that motorised devices are not allowed (in some places they now are), but I said that the tax disc has no word as to the fact that it is motorised! It's just a BICYCLE, so I plead my case that no difference can be made......

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
              It just shows how confusing these matters are!!! When I worked at Cricklewood on the side of the A5, we had a bus lane right outside our premises and sure as eggs are eggs, the gents in blue were sent to enforce the letter of the law. They caught the boss driving the length of the premises from a side road to the gate, and also it appeared as if they nicked a lad on a solo. We had a few cracks with the coppers, as we were waiting for one of our trucks and I casually asked if they could nick motorcycles when the tax disc plainly states "BICYCLE", a device allowed in Bus Lanes. One copper said that motorised devices are not allowed (in some places they now are), but I said that the tax disc has no word as to the fact that it is motorised! It's just a BICYCLE, so I plead my case that no difference can be made......
              Indeed so Brian. So these increasingly common bicycles with electric motors, or to put it another way, motor bikes, don't share our burden.....its a mad world

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Have just found that Speedometers were made compulsory on 1 January 1937.
                see https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-driving-test
                paragraph 4
                So the 1984 directive means that from 1/4/84 speedos must be marked in MPH and Kilometers
                So bottom line is YES you do need a speedo fitted on a Greeves.
                I thought this was the case, thanks for researching.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
                  Evening gents,

I'm now the proud owner of a 1961 TDS Scottish recently purchased from a fellow club member. My intention is to use it for both trials and green lane-ing so getting it road legal is a priority. I know this issue keeps cropping up, but I'm thoroughly confused about what I need to do. DVLA website is no use at all, so I nipped down to my local MOT test centre for a chat.
                  I was told an electric horn is required ( apparently small battery operated ones that can be fitted to bicycles are fine) but a bulb horn is no longer acceptable I find this hard to believe when a bulb horn was likely to be fitted originally.
                  A speedo isn't required - I thought that was an absolute necessity?
                  Tyres (even if marked 'not for road use' ) are fine as long as the tread block is larger than the gap between the blocks.
                  I believe that as of April next year, changes in policy mean an MOT won't be needed for the bike, but....

Also, regarding tax exemption, do I need to inform DVLA ? there seems to be no facility to do his on their website.

Finally, if anyone in the Yorkshire / Derbyshire area can recommend good clubs or trials I'd be grateful

Paul

After searching around this is the horn I bought for my Scottish, its waterproof, reasonably compact and loud

Comment

Or there is this one.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainproof-...oAAOSw8gVX6KcC

Worth a punt at that price!

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                      Or there is this one.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rainproof-...oAAOSw8gVX6KcC

Worth a punt at that price!
                      No - I bought this originally, its rubbish! Sounds like a demented midge. Went straight in the bin...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
                        No - I bought this originally, its rubbish! Sounds like a demented midge. Went straight in the bin...
                        Lol..... you do tend to get what you pay for!

Comment

Thanks MarkM, not exactly a 'period' looking item, but I'd happily overlook aesthetics for safety.

Paul

Comment

Horn

I bought a bicycle horn from Ebay and it has passed 2 MOTs. However you must have a mono tone sound. My local MOT garage showed me the specification which is quite specific. Such ones are available but it will need a careful search. It cost about £4.00

Comment

some success

Just thought I would update everyone.

The road tax issue was a doddle. Took v5c to the local post office, and they made the amendments over the counter to change to historic (no road tax) status. they even forwarded the amended v5c to dvla so doesn't even cost me a stamp. So the suggestion that I may have to pay road tax which would then be refunded once the taxation class was changed proved not to be the case. They even issued a receipt stating 'vehicle excise duty paid = £0.00, licence period = 12 months,' handy to have incase Mr Plod is confused about the rules.

On a related note, spoke to Carol Nash re. insurance. Cost of adding the Scottish to my existing classic road bike policy = £44.83, of which £40.00 is an administration fee. Now that takes some beating, 12 months fully comp for £4.83 - even as a tight Yorkshireman I'm happy with that!

Took the Scottish for its first proper test on a local green lane - not much green, but lots of rocks, water filled potholes and adverse cambers - and the bike performed faultlessly. I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but I can't believe a bike this old can be so good.

Paul

Comment

The choice of the expert.......

Nice one Paul, so whens your first event then? I'll keep an eye on the results pages in TMX..............
                                I'm riding the Anglian in the Guy Fawkes Trial near Cirencester this weekend, bit too far from you (its 100 miles from me) but should be a good old mud plug.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X