Boat of Garten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat of Garten

Apparently we need a break so we are in Boat of Garten for a few days. Ready for the inevitable boredom to set in I was pleasantly surprised to find that a well known trick cyclist (never heard of him) and his team were doing a display today.
    The first obvious mistake they made was that they had forgotten to fit the engine. Basic stuff but we all make mistakes. The consequence of this was that they had to pedal frantically to get around, at least it kept them warm as it was bitterly cold.
    The jumps and tricks show their obvious skill and training and were amazing.
    It seems that a large number of bikes around here have electric motors which blurs the line between cycle and motorcycle. With the obvious improvement in battery technology this will no doubt increase and has benefits for some of the off road competitions which are dwindling due to noise and pollution concerns.
    One issue that will need to be addressed is the legality of riding a 'powered' cycle on the road which is neither taxed or insured. Still anything on 2 wheels will help cut down the congestion and I was going to say help keep you fit, however not with an electric motor.j
    Nearly time for the red wine
    Last edited by tony; 31/03/2018, 06:21 PM. Reason: Missing word

Your late Tony,
    I have been on the red wine for ages.

Comment

Before 6:00 Craig?

Comment

Before 06-00!

Comment

Craig, I think when the doctor said you need to drink grape juice in the morning, this wasn't what he had in mind

Comment

Started yesterday. After all it’s Easter.

Comment

Lovely place to relax Tony know it well as inlaws live up there (Tomintoul). So peaceful - mountain biking is huge in that area with some great trails. The standardisation of electric bikes will become a major theme in years to come I suspect as there are so many derivatives about and power outputs will probably need to be set and made legal
              Last edited by MarkM; 01/04/2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

The DVLA have set out what can be classed as a cycle which does not need a licence or mot. However the 15 mph limit is going to take some reinforcing as they seem to whizz pass a lot quicker than that. Then there will be the aftermarket parts to make them faster- no visible akrapovic silencer to check though.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                  The DVLA have set out what can be classed as a cycle which does not need a licence or mot. However the 15 mph limit is going to take some reinforcing as they seem to whizz pass a lot quicker than that. Then there will be the aftermarket parts to make them faster- no visible akrapovic silencer to check though.
                  The standard electric bike bought through a recognised dealer will be fine to comply with legislation , its some of the the husqvarnas and KTM et al electric bikes that are sold as 'leisure' and not road legal bikes that will err ... slip through the net. I personally think that the law will change again regarding electric bikes (ie compulsory training, license etc). I don't think that the Govt was aware just how fast (sic) the market technology would progress. Just hope it doesnt take a fatality to make people aware
                  Last edited by MarkM; 01/04/2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X