No announcement yet.

Twanger's Corner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks John, and pleased you enjoyed seeing the pics my friend.

Brian/Twanger (now Banger!.....)

Comment

• Spade Guitar Project.

As for my next project.......well, no surprises there really......!!

Would you believe these badgers are now 'commercially available', with the Justin Johnson 'Signature' model shovel guitar (see pic 1) retailing at...gasp.....FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY US DOLLARS......!!!

Nah....stuff that....reckon I'll make me own, from a fine example of Spear & Jackon's finest..... For the shovel afficionados on here, and I know there are many, you'll both be pleased to know that I've chosen a 'Kew Series' stainless digging spade with a premium ash handle.....!!

It'll also have a tasty chrome plated Artec 8K ohm mini humbucker pickup fitted, Vanson Guitars 15:1 ratio machine heads, CTS 500K volume and tone pots, a 0.22muf 'Orange Drop' capacitor and a trick 3 way ON/ON/ON DPDT mini toggle switch so I can wire the pick up in series, parallel and out of phase for lots of 'tone' options.....The box of bits is nearly complete, bar a bit of aluminium 'L' stock for the bridge, tailpeice and nut and a few nuts, bolts, washers and screws. As for the AAA grade ebony and ash boards, not to mention the paua abalone inlay material....well, you'll just have to wait and see......watch this space!

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/04/2017, 08:43 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

• Spade Guitar Project - Parts and additional reference pics.

Here's a few more pics of the parts assembled, ready for the build....

The first two pics show a couple of other examples of the breed, one acoustic and one electric, this time from the excellent 'Creek Rock Lo-Fi' team....some great inspiration there... https://creekrocklofi.com/#garagemade

I won't be using the black mounting plate for the pickup on mine as it will attach directly to the spade instead. Also, regarding the paua abalone inlay material, the larger piece is actually a guitar pick sourced from Rob (MD) and the guys at 'Timbertones', a really nice example that I have 'special' plans for..... http://timber-tones.co.uk/ Some more examples of their beautiful 'Abalone Tones' here; http://timber-tones.co.uk/abalone-tones-229-c.asp This stuff isn't cheap, but the quality and design are amazing and they definitely 'work', just as it says on the tin, once you spend a little time getting used to them after 'conventional' picks. Truly a 'rainbow' of tones, and they are ALL different and you can really hear (and 'feel') it! A great company, fantastic products and really nice people to deal with....highly recommended!

Can't wait to get started cutting metal and wood (and abalone!)......it's going to be fun!

Brian.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 19/02/2017, 05:48 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

• Excellent Idea there Brian, seems the ideal instrument for the highly strung, nice bit of gardening to calm things down, does it come with a tuning fork?.......

Comment

• Guess you've heard about the new band I'm putting together...'The Allotments'.....

A 'Tuning Fork'.....!! See, that's true genius that is Dave......!!

....I knew you would dig it.....!!

PS Has anyone got Bill and Ben The Flowerpot Men's contact details.....I'm looking for a rhythm section.....

Banger.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 19/02/2017, 06:04 PM. Reason: Plea for assistance locating a bass player and a drummer.....

Comment

• The allottments you say! sounds like something for the thrill seekers , but i don`t think ur gonna get bill & ben mate....thier in the greenhouse with a little weed.......
              Gotta a guitar playing greengrocer mate, might be interested though....he`s always living life on the veg! .............

Comment

• Deep Purple Sprouting.....

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                Gotta a guitar playing greengrocer mate, might be interested though....he`s always living life on the veg! .............
                ....is that the guy that used to play in 'Prefab Sprout'......!!!!!!!

I actually auditioned a swede last week...but I couldn't understand anything he said....I might have to give Jasper Carrot a ring tomarrow if all else fails....

Brian.

Comment

• Jaspers not a good bet mate!.....half the time he doesn`t turnip to the gigs, or half way through a solo...just wanders off stage for a leek.......

Comment

• Funny you should say that bud (!)...a mate of mine worked with Robert Plant once (true!)....she said exactly the same.....he was always off for a pea too.......

Brian.

Comment

• Chuck Berry 1926-2017

So we lose another hero. Part of the soundtrack of my youth. Will his vast influence ever be fully acknowledged?

Chuck Berry, one of the greatest. RIP.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Chuck Berry.

Spot on Colin, another legend lost.....sadly one of so many in recent times.....

Chuck Berry wrote the book on rock 'n' roll licks for guitar, and we are all still playing them. His lyrics were also pretty special when you dig into them a bit deeper...many have commented on their almost poetic form.

Those are the things I will remember him for.....

Brian.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/03/2017, 02:58 PM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

• Dog Bowl Resonator Cigar Box Guitar Project.

In addition to the 'Spade' guitar, I'm also accumulating parts for my three string fretless dog bowl resonator cigar box guitar.....

This is where I'm at so far, with the first pic giving an idea of what I'm aiming for.....I think I'm going to cut a pair of 'f-holes' in mine, rather than go for the stainless sink drainer soundhole covers though.....but I am tempted.....

Neck is mahogany, fretboard is black walnut......not decided yet if I'm going to use bolts for the nut and bridge, or a nice bit of bone....if I can prise it from the clutches of the neigbours Jack Russell.....

Brian.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 21/06/2017, 10:58 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

• Guitar Slides.....

Being as I'm getting seriously back into slide playing again, I thought I'd better find a home for my old collection and various recent new aquisitions....so I made a box....! Came up quite nice with a bit of walnut wood dye and some satin lacquer, with a rub over with some ultra fine steel wool to finish.

I've been having a lot of fun recently with my new ceramic slides. The 'Delta' stubby ones (see below) are hand made by a new aquaintance/ex pro musician/teacher in Stoke-on-Trent and the glazes he uses are so beautiful, as is the craftsmanship, all thrown on a potters wheel. The blue/grey/white 'swirly' one is made from different coloured clays and is tapered inside for a better fit and straight walled on the outside....so hard to do, and it's perfect. They sound incredible too, with the warmth of a glass slide and the brightness of metal...the best of both worlds really, and they are so tactile and nice to use.

The larger 'Starsinger' ones (red/'ruby', black/'jet' and blue/'lagoon') are also hand made by a guy in Glastonbury, and each one is unique due to the glaze forming it's own pattern when it's fired in the kiln. I think these things are works of art in their own right!

I've collected all sorts over the years, glass, pyrex, brass, stainless, copper, anodised aluminium, chromed steel and now ceramic following a tip from a guy in the cigar box guitar community in the USA. It's amazing how different they all sound, and I have different sizes for different L/H fingers, depending on what I'm playing at the time. Great fun, and nice to get back to the 'roots' of it all....

Brian.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/03/2017, 11:22 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                              In addition to the 'Spade' guitar, I'm also accumulating parts for my three string fretless dog bowl resonator cigar box guitar.....

A nice bit of bone....if I can prise it from the clutches of the neigbours Jack Russell.....

Brian.
                              Looks a bit like something Seasick Steve might have concocted...

Will the bones of any dog do, or does it have to be a JR?
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

• I didn't know JRs had clutches, are they cable or hydraulic?

Comment

Working...
                                X