Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Tensile Steel Wheel Rims

Hi,

I am trying to obtain a pair of WM1x21 high tensile steel rims and have reached a dead end. I know that Greeves used these and was wondering if anyone knows of any or anyone producing these?

As a last ditch option, I have also been advised that in order to get the 'look only' of these, a bead of weld can be applied to a normal bare mild steel rim before painting. Could anyone please send me or post some photos of what the original rims look like?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Keith

Wheel rims

Hi, give Doug Richardson of South Moulton a call:- www.devonwheelbuilding.com His work is excellent and having visited his workshop when he rebuilt my Griffon front wheel, he has rims in plenty,whether or not he stocks the rims you need you will have to speak to him[sorry can't find his number] ................starider

Comment

Doug Richardson

Hi, sorry, just checked web site given above,it has changed to:- www.drwheelbuilding.com .............starider
      Last edited by starider; 01/11/2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks, starider, I've sent Doug an email with all of my requirements.

Comment

H/T steel rim

I have one. It is power coated however original. Not sure of size as its hiding under the bench. Will dig it out.

Rob.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Sprocket; 01/11/2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Weld

Cheers, Rob. I presume that the visible weld continues up both side edges of the rim (and presumably all the way around the rim where not visible when fitted with a tyre). Is that correct?

Comment

Weld

Absolutely

Regards.

Comment

Weld

Just as a passing thought. One of the main points of this Rim apart from being stronger and more resistant to rust and corrosion is the weight. They really are so light. As I say, just a thought if you are thinking of faking one.

Regards.

Comment

Yes, I know, and those are the two primary reasons that I would like to obtain some, but I have now finally reached a dead end I think, unless I fake them purely for aesthetics but that doesn't achieve much. In that light, you would have thought that I could just order some bare mild steel rims that have not had the weld joint made invisible, but based upon my recent experience with the wheel manufacturers asking for anything custom I do not even hold out much hope for that either. I've tried CWS, Devonrims, Hagon, Doug Richardson, Kennie Buchanan in the US, Steve Hood in Australia and Vintage Rims in New Zealand. In addition to the high tensile rims I was also looking to obtain some triple-butted spokes, but no luck on either from anyone. It seems that everyone only offers basically the same standard items with even double-butted spokes very thin on the ground.

It appears that high tensile steel rims have not been offered for such a long time that even many of these firms no longer know anything about them. Here's an interesting link containing a letter from the Dunlop Motorcycle Racing Department when they still made them to the VOC describing the benefits of using HT rims: http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/2.2/2.2-212-15.pdf.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Comment

Yes, I know, and those are the two primary reasons that I would like to obtain some, but I have now finally reached a dead end I think, unless I fake them purely for aesthetics but that doesn't achieve much. In that light, you would have thought that I could just order some bare mild steel rims that have not had the weld joint made invisible, but based upon my recent experience with the wheel manufacturers asking for anything custom I do not even hold out much hope for that either. I've tried CWS, Devonrims, Hagon, Doug Richardson, Kennie Buchanan in the US, Steve Hood in Australia and Vintage Rims in New Zealand. In addition to the high tensile rims I was also looking to obtain some triple-butted spokes, but no luck on either from anyone. It seems that everyone only offers basically the same standard items with even double-butted spokes very thin on the ground. It appears that high tensile steel rims have not been offered for such a long time that even many of these firms no longer know anything about them. Here's an interesting link containing a letter from the Dunlop Motorcycle Racing Department when they still made them to the VOC describing the benefits of using HT rims: http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/2.2/2.2-212-15.pdf.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Comment

Working...
                    X