Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA ramping up its inspections

The following from Practical Classics magazine Dec 2016

There is evidence that the DVLA is ramping up its inspections regime, according to reports from FBHVC members. It seems that owners who apply for a V5c for a vehicle that has spent a long time off the road could be more likely be subjected to an inspection (which is contracted to SGS)

So if you have a bike stored in the shed that you may not as yet have put in your name then it would be wise to get this done asap. Likewise if you buy a bike without a V5c but find it is entitled to one, you may find the inspector calling after you have submitted a V62 (Application for V5c) form.

John had to regain a reg for a 1958 James ,the DVLA wrote to me stating it will need to be inspected by SGS as it was pre 1963. SGS contacted me arranged a date ,the inspector was here at the time stated checked frame and engine numbers took some photos ,told me DVLA would be in contact 2/3 weeks , six days later new V5C arrived.
    No problems with SGS
    Simon

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
      John had to regain a reg for a 1958 James ,the DVLA wrote to me stating it will need to be inspected by SGS as it was pre 1963. SGS contacted me arranged a date ,the inspector was here at the time stated checked frame and engine numbers took some photos ,told me DVLA would be in contact 2/3 weeks , six days later new V5C arrived.
      No problems with SGS
      Simon
      There have been good reports with the SGS, in one case the inspector arrived on a bike & was an enthusiast himself, very polite & efficient. The point I was trying to get over was that there are lots of bikes that have been bought with or without a V5c and new owners have not bothered to register them in their name as they are not putting them on the road. But one never knows what changes DVLA might make in the future, so its best to get paper work up to date.

Comment

Dvla

Having sent a V55/5 to obtain a V5C with photos etc.as inspected by our David Collard,I am told by DVLA that I need an inspection by SGS. I can only assume that the GRA .involvment is not acceptable,if so the GRA. loses a revenue stream. perhaps another case of building an empire to do something which could be straight forward. Les.

Comment

Originally posted by mayfield View Post
          Having sent a V55/5 to obtain a V5C with photos etc.as inspected by our David Collard,I am told by DVLA that I need an inspection by SGS. I can only assume that the GRA .involvment is not acceptable,if so the GRA. loses a revenue stream. perhaps another case of building an empire to do something which could be straight forward. Les.
          I think this is a 'second line of defence' by DVLA. Having had the intial confirmation of dating, frame number and inspection by the GRA, I suppose they just want to make sure that the actual vehicle is still the same one that the GRA have checked. I think the SGS check is just for frame & engine numbers rather than the dating & authenticity of bike which has been checked by the club.
          So many vehicles, particularly in the exotic car world, have been cloned with the use of 'fake' paper work I suppose the DVLA are just doing a double check.
          DVLA are definitely tightening up now, hence why I started this thread. Anyone with a bike not on a V5c is well advised to get one asap as I can see the DVLA closing the door on the V765 scheme in the not too distant future.

Comment

Dvla

Sorry John for calling you David, I mixed up with a close friend of mine Les.

Comment

Dvla

Les,
              Not a problem, I've been called a lot worse.
              The DVLA have always retained the right to inspect bikes for any one of a number of reasons. This is one of the reasons why I can appear a bit pedantic at tiimes.
              The DVLA have been shafted over the years by unscrupulous owners/dealers so it serves us right. It doesn't usually happen with Greeves because of the relatively low prices they attract but this is changing.

Druid

Comment

DVLA Inspections etc....

Originally posted by druid View Post
                Les,
                Not a problem, I've been called a lot worse.
                The DVLA have always retained the right to inspect bikes for any one of a number of reasons. This is one of the reasons why I can appear a bit pedantic at tiimes.
                The DVLA have been shafted over the years by unscrupulous owners/dealers so it serves us right. It doesn't usually happen with Greeves because of the relatively low prices they attract but this is changing.

Druid
                Well said JC.

As far as 'being a bit pedantic' at times, as I've said many time before, when all said and done it's your name and reputation on the line, not to mention the responsibilty that goes with your role on behalf of the GRA and good standing with the DVLA, so surely getting things 'right' is of paramount importance.

In my opinion the GRA and it's members are in your debt for your stirling support and service over many years.

Toady Thommo.

Comment

On a related DVLA theme, here's another one. I had a bike MOT'd last year and then went to the PO and got it taxed - or at least, thought I had. This year, I did not get a reminder so not wishing to collect a fine, I emailled DVLA to ask where it had got to. The DVLA did not seem to understand the question with their first 2 attempts at replying but have now told me the bike has not been taxed for years and is in their 'not licenced' category! Err, pardon?

The point here is how do you prove you taxed your bike without receiving a disc? What would have happened if I had been pulled up for no tax? On Friday, I answered for the 3rd time sending them copies of the PO tax receipt and MOT. They have already sent me the procedure for taxing it by post but I do not currently have it MOT'd so cannot do that as yet.

Advice here is to check on the DVLA website after taxing the vehicle to make sure the PO actually got it right. I also do not understand why the DVLA did not pick it up if the PO did get it wrong.

I have always had exemplary service from the DVLA when reserrecting registration numbers, etc. so this is a bit of a shame.

I await response number 4 but I do not intend to let this drop until I get a sensible answer from them.

Comment

Dvla

Hello Rob.
                    Each time I tax a vehicle I always ask for a confirmation email which goes into
                    1 the vehicle folder after printing
                    2 into the computer tax file.
                    Mike

Comment

Tax your vehicles on line. Very straightforward. That way you can print out the confirmation documents either direct or by requested email.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

DVLA Inspections

Further to my previous post,I have had a visit from the SGS inspector,very prompt turnaround from making the appointment{2days} He duplicated every thing I had submitted to John Collard,it will be a pity if the DVLA are not going to accept any club authentications. The chap who made the visit was first class on all counts although a ship cargo surveyor he showed an interest in motorcycles,perhaps showing the way things are likely to evolve. Les.

Comment

Originally posted by mayfield View Post
                          Further to my previous post,I have had a visit from the SGS inspector,very prompt turnaround from making the appointment{2days} He duplicated every thing I had submitted to John Collard,it will be a pity if the DVLA are not going to accept any club authentications. The chap who made the visit was first class on all counts although a ship cargo surveyor he showed an interest in motorcycles,perhaps showing the way things are likely to evolve. Les.
                          It would make it easier both for clubs & owners if the DVLA took on the inspections themselves. But as I mentioned in an earlier post I suspect the DVLA use the club authentication/inspection as 'the first hurdle' to sort the 'wheat from the chaff'. The secondary inspection is just a final check up that what the club have submitted is accurate. Apparently a few unscrupulous clubs have been fiddling the books. Clubs for very expensive cars where the difference in getting an 'original number' back can result in several £1000 difference in value. Greeves dont really fit into that category but one rule for all applies.

Comment

Working...
                          X