Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves 25DCX

Hello....
    I've just purchased a 1963 Greeves 25DCX???

Well I think it's Greeves 25DCX.....
    Frame number...25DCX130

Now i'm trying to find out whether it is a proper DCX or not.
    The handlebars are on top of the yoke,headlamp with switch on side like the essex...
    Here she is....

Thanks for looking
    Dave

Hi Dave ,

Saw this on ebay and assumed the seller had not sold it .

It certainly has a DCX frame number , which don't mean a lot , it may be the frame has been changed from the original after an accident ..

Also if , I recall rightly , some of the DCX were converted to standard twins to sell them , not the most popular of bikes and deserved the factory name of the "flying banana".

If it was me , I would rebuild it as a standard roadster . It has all the right parts already there .

Might be worthwhile to get a copy of the machine build list for the DCX from the club to see if it was converted .

Chris

Comment

Sorry but its not a DCX but an Essex with DCX frame number. I repeat here my recent posting from the eBay thread.

Although it has a DCX frame No (25DCX 13*) the bike is not configured as a DCX. This appears to have Essex bits ie fibreglass tank, mudguards etc. The DCX had a different style tank with alloy guards & clip on handle bars. Looks like someone has rebuilt it as an Essex. The DCX frame is the same as for other 25DC & 24DC series roadsters.
      Price is cheap even for an Essex, but a correct spec DCX is worth much more.
      A hybrid such as this even less. Also remember the fibreglass tank will melt with ethanol added petrol. The Hampshire reg. 322 MCG dates it to 1964, so maybe a 1963 model that took a year to sell. The last DCX's were made in 1963.

It should look like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gr...sman_1962_.JPG

If you only paid £550 for it you still got a bargain.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/05/2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Dcx =essex twin

IF I REMEBER CORRECTLY THE ESSEX TWIN OF 64 DID HAVE A 4T ENGINE FITTED INTRODUCED THE SAME TIME AS THE STARMAKER 18 SEPTEMBER 1963.

THE DCX HAD A 2T ENGINE FITTED TO IT UNTILL LATE 63 I READ THEY DID FIT SOME WITH 4T (LAST) BREIFLY.

IF YOU CHECK BEHIND THE HEAD LAMP COWL THERE IF ITS DCX REPLACEMENT FORKS OR AS CHRIS SAID REPLACEMENT FRAME THE DCX FORKS HAVE BRAKETS VERTICALY WELDED TO THE FRONT OF THE FORK FACE FOR THE HANDLE BARS (LIKE THE PROTOTYPE) SILVERSTONE WOULD TO FIND OUT IF THEY DID USE UP THE DCX FRAMES AS THEY WERE ONLY A SMALL COMPANY THERE WERE NO HARD AND FAST RULES I HAVE FRAME 25DCX108 AND 25DCX206

I HAVE NUTS FOR THE FORK SPATS !

Last edited by greeves246; 13/06/2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Dcx

I know it has been published that some DCX's had 4T engines I think this is wrong as the 4T did not come in untill after the DCX was finished. Maybe a few got retro fitted.
          The reg. No 322 MCG (Hampshire) is not on DVLA & records held by the Kithead Trust which only exist for 1931 to 1948. So unless you have the old buff logbook or tax disc it will be an age related number I am afraid.
          See pic below of what a DCX should look like
          Attached Files
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/06/2011, 11:24 AM. Reason: Extra text & pic

Comment

4t dcx

Page 91 villiers singles and twins engine 353e villiers 4t

Comment

Yep a misprint I expect should have read 25DC & 25DD
              If you read Carrick & Walker Greeves page 122 its says I quote
              "In fact the 25DC Sports Twin did not begin to receive the 4T unit until autumn of 1964. By then only three roadsters remained; the Sports Twin, the 20DC Sports Single and the 25DD Essex Twin now in Mk2 form with 4T engine. All other roadsters, including the gaudy Sportsman, and all the 325 modles had been discontinued"
              Therefore no 4T engined DCX's

Comment

sports twin 1963

motor cycle 16 september 1963 page 356

Comment

Optional extras

All parts were a optional extras manufacures extras ! so you could have what you want even spats on a dc and full width hubs so engine would have been nothing to have as a extra ESPECALY IN 63/4

AS I SAID AGAIN GREEVES HAVE NO HARD AND FAST RULES ON WHAT YOU WANTED !
                  MY DCX IS MOORLAND BLUE UNDER THE LIGHT BLUE

and frank said mine is a east coaster (export model)

AND THIS BIKE EXISTS !
                  1964 25DCX 353E 25DCX216

CHRIS GOODFELLOW WILL BE ABLE TO SHED SOME LIGHT ON IT AFTER ALL HES AN EX EMPLOYEE OF THE ORIGINAL GREEVES FACTORY ?

AND I THINK THE DCX IS A GREAT BIKE AS ONE BIKE HAS WON THE GREEVES CLUB LOTS OF ACOLADES MARICES ONE thanks to maurice

IM NOT ARGUING

THESE ARE FACT

I KNOW A MAN WHO BROUGHT A 360 FROM THE FACTORY NEW
                  BRAND NEW !!!!
                  HE WENT TO LOAD IT AND THE FRONT WHEEL WOULDNT ROTATE SO HE COMPLAINED AND ONE OF THE FACTORY EMPLOYEES (IN A WHITE COAT) RAN BACK AND MADE SPACER TO FIT THE REST OF THE COMPLETED BIKES LINED UP FOR IMMIDIATE COLLECTION THAT WAS 1967 !!! SO THEY WERE VERY ! DISORGANIZED COMPANY ALMOST TIN POT IN A WAY

THE MAN: ROBERT BLAKE MOTORCYCLES PLUSHA,BRIDGE,LISKEARD ,CORNWALL

I HAVE A ORIGINAL POT OF THE LIGHT BLUE FOR A COLOUR MATCH
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/06/2011, 02:41 AM. Reason: Correction/addition made to original text (re Chris Goodfellow) by BT highlighted in bold.

Comment

DCX id

Back to Dave's original posting, "i'm trying to find out whether it is a proper DCX or not" if he likes to join the club he can then request the despatch details for 25DCX 130 which may then give a clue as to what it was built as.
                    It should also lead to a Hampshire dealer. Either way if it was a DCX converted to an Essex it was done a long time ago judging by rusted paintwork & one small link to the DCX is the small red badges on toolbox, these had either 25 or 32 depending in whether it was a 250 or 325. Would frames have been pre stamped prior to assembly? If so it could have been a 25DD Essex with DCX stamped frame.
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/06/2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

25DCX130 Have you started restoration?

samthesparky
                      What is the latest on you DCX, Have you started restoring it either as it is or back to a DCX proper? Note I have added it onto the DCX Survivors Register.

Comment

I see 322 MCG is now taxed but not insured according to ASKMID, so the old buff logbook or other evidence must have come to light as it was not listed on the DVLA back in 2011 and was registed at DVLA in Feb 2012
                        Vehicle make: GREEVES 25 DCX
                        Date of first registration: February 2012
                        Year of manufacture: 1962
                        Cylinder capacity (cc): 249 cc
                        CO₂Emissions: 0 g/km
                        Fuel type: PETROL
                        Export marker: No
                        Vehicle status: Taxed and due
                        Vehicle colour: BLUE
                        Vehicle type approval: Not available
                        Wheelplan: 2 WHEEL
                        Revenue weight: Not available

There was a keeper change in November 2014 so presumably 'samthesparky' you have sold it
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/07/2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Had a PM from samthesparky today, apparently he sold 9/14 to someone in Colerne near Bath. Its still on SORN but insured according to ASKMID.
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/05/2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X